How to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error -6189, 816by Justin Conner Accounting Helpline
Have you encountered an error where you get an error message “An error occurs when QuickBooks tried to access the company file (-6189, -816)” if Yes then this article is for you. This error occurs when a user tries to open the company file and is a company file error. In this article, we will show you an easy method to remove error 6189, 816 from QuickBooks. Follow the complete article for detailed information.
Points to Consider before Troubleshooting Error -6189, 816
If you have activated the multi user mode in QuickBooks then check out the points given below:
1. Make sure that the company file is not stored on a network drive or any removable data storage device. These types of external storage devices cannot function as computer storage and this can cause damage in data. QuickBooks Database Manager cannot run on such devices.
2. You can also face this error if you are using an online file sharing service like Digoo or Dropbox. In case if the company file is located on any online storage then we suggest you to download the file to the local storage and open it from there.
3. You can use Intuit Data Protect to safely store you company data online.
4. Make sure that your system does not have any data encryption application, these types of applications can encrypt the company file making it unreadable to QuickBooks Desktop.
Troubleshooting Step 1: Reboot the Server and your Computer
1. Reboot every workstation in the network.
2. If the company file is stored on server then reboot the server.
3. Try to open the company file again after rebooting all the devices.
Troubleshooting Step 2: Try Installing QuickBooks Database Server Manager on File Hosting Server
1. For this troubleshooting step you need to Download QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
2. After the download, double click the setup file and follow the on screen instructions to complete the installation.
3. You will not need any additional license for installation.
4. Try opening the company file once again.
Created on Jan 17th 2019 17:07. Viewed 733 times.