What Is Medium Density Overlay Plywood?by Neha Sinha My name is Neha Sinha and I work at Izen Imaging-t
Medium-density overlay plywood is also known as MDO in the wood industry. It is one of the engineered products of wood that has grown in use and popularity nowadays.
MDO is made through the pressing of the plywood along with a weather-resistant resin layer under great heat and pressure. The resin layer is attached to the wood layer in this process which is termed an overlay.
These MDO plywoods can be obtained from the timber supplier in Gujarat that delivers imported and high-quality panels for construction purposes.
The MDO is mainly known for its overlay property that gives stability to the panel and makes it capable to resist unwanted substances that can damage the plywood. It has a very smooth surface to apply any paint or to be worked on.
MDO is usually stronger than any other plywood because it contains around 28% of resin which makes it resistant to water, rain, sunlight, and chemicals. The degradation time of this plywood is more than compared to other plywood.
It is the perfect material for outdoor applications because of its smooth surface that can be painted easily. And a normal paint gives three times more finish when applied to MDO as compared to other painted plywood.
Characteristics of MDO Plywood
Besides the smooth surface, there are many more useful characteristics of MDO.
1. There is a various range of shapes and sizes of MDO available. Its width can range from 2 to 4 feet while the length can be 8 to 12 feet.
2. Usually MDO is available with only one side overlaid and for both sides overlaid, you have to ask your lumber supplier.
3. Being overlaid, it is weather-resistant and can last for years without degrading.
4. It is perfect for wooden flooring as it can handle daily wear and tear more effectively.
5. It is stronger than other available plywood and can withstand a lot of weight.
6. MDO is cheaper than other plywood and hence is the best option for the construction of furniture and bed shelves.
Uses of MDO Plywood
The uses of MDO are based on the type of MDO as it is available in two different types. MDO polyform, which is used for concrete forming and construction purposes, and Regular MDO which is used in most wood working stores.
For woodworking purposes, MDO can be used as follows:
1. For indoor furniture - MDO is strong and can give strong support to the pieces of furniture and countertops. Because of its moisture-resistant properties, it is commonly used in bathrooms and places with high humidity.
2. For outdoor furniture - Since MDO is weather resistant with a smooth surface, it can be used for outdoor applications with just applying paint. It is best suited for outdoor and garden furniture from tables to chairs.
3. For Marine Usage - MDO is a great choice for creating a boat's structure as it hight water resistant. MDO panels are utilized in creating decks and boats that can withstand water and moisture for years.
The lumber supplier in Gujarat is the only distributor of high-quality wood panels in India. As mentioned above, MDO is great water-resistant plywood and hence can be used to perform better in water-related places. Only it requires paint and some extra protection to the panels so that it can withstand humidity and water.
Created on Nov 22nd 2022 09:41. Viewed 189 times.
No comment, be the first to comment.