How to use QuickBooks File Doctor?by Linda Martin Professional Consultant
QuickBooks File Doctor is a very useful tool released by Intuit Inc, that helps users solve numerous errors in QuickBooks. It has been included in all the versions of QuickBooks that have been released after the year 2016. This blog should help you with the installation and usage of the Quickbooks File Doctor.
What kind of issues does the Quickbooks desktop file doctor resolve?
QB File Doctor should help you most connectivity issues, as well as multi-user errors that could occur within your company files. These errors include:
The series of errors with error code 6000:
- -6150: This points to corruption among your installation files.
- -6000 -82: You will require administrator access to run QuickBooks.
- 6000 -301: The file you are looking for has been moved from its original location.
- -6147: Your Windows backup isn’t configured appropriately.
- -6130: The Windows Firewall on your system isn’t properly configured.
The multi-user series of errors:
Before you proceed any further with how to run the QuickBooks File Doctor, take note of the following:
- Always try the QuickBooks File Doctor first, before you attempt any other resolution strategy. This is the method we recommend the most, specifically because of its ease of use, and it’s effectiveness. This is mainly because using it eliminates the possibility of most errors and connection issues.
- The multi-user H series of errors could occur quite frequently. This is also because errors occurring when there are shared files over a network is quite common. The files could corrupt very easily. Use this tool when attempting to transfer any files in multi-user mode.
- Some errors have already been coded into the resolution process of the QuickBooks File Doctor. When any of these errors occur, you will see that the application should run on its own to fix this. In case it doesn’t, simply open it and click on Start.
Some precautions before you use QuickBooks File Doctor:
While the tool is highly useful, there are some things you should keep in mind before you use it. Think of these as slight disadvantages of a great tool.
- You cannot run this tool without admin access.
- Your internet connection should be decently fast. There shouldn’t be any hitches with it while the tool is running, so make sure it’s stable.
- The company file you are attempting to scan should not exceed a data size of over 2GB.
- Make fully sure that you have a singular version of the QuickBooks software installed on your system. If the QB File Doctor finds more than one, it might malfunction.
- Also, we recommend that you have the latest version of the QuickBooks installed on your system for the best performance.
- QuickBooks File Doctor has only been released for the Windows OS. Mac users will have to wait, unfortunately.
How to use the QuickBooks File Doctor?
Follow these steps to successfully resolve your errors with the File Doctor:
- Open QuickBooks.
- Do not open the problematic company file, yet.
- Select File from the top of your screen.
- Click on Utilities.
- Click on Repair File and Network Problems.
- You will see a window that requests your permission to gather your private data. Click on Yes and Continue. In case you do not see it, it means your QuickBooks already has this permission.
You can simply move on to the next step.
- Select Browse.
- Find the location your company file is located in, and open it.
- Click Show Advanced Settings.
- Choose the issue you are facing.
- You will be asked to sign in. Use your login credentials to progress.
- Click Next, and the QB File Doctor should open.
- It should automatically scan your company file for issues, and fix it.
How long does it take for QuickBooks File Doctor to Repair File?
Please wait while the application attempts to diagnose and repair your company files. Depending on the size of your file, it could take several minutes. Simply be patient, and watch as the error resolves itself with the help of the tool. It might also depend on how difficult your error is to scan.
If you feel your issue still hasn’t been resolved, or you would like to take the help of an IT professional to fix this issue for you, please contact the QuickBooks Support Number 1-877-263-2742. They should help you sort out any problem you face, while also answering any queries you might have.
Created on Dec 14th 2018 08:23. Viewed 1,162 times.