Can Outlook Import from Thunderbird? Query Resolvedby Stephan Renald Technical Blogger, SEO Executive
The answer to the big question – Can Outlook import from
Thunderbird? is explained in this article.
Outlook is a product of Microsoft and is used as an email client with multiple advanced functionalities. It supports OST, PST, and OLM file format to store messages on the local machine depending on the protocol and Operating system used. However, one thing is certain. Outlook does not support the importing of MBOX files. Now, this is a big issue for users who wish to know if Outlook can import from Thunderbird. Why? We will learn about this in the next section.
Can Outlook Import from Thunderbird directly?
The answer is NO. Because Outlook does not have a Thunderbird option in its Import feature. Also, Mozilla Thunderbird stores its emails in MBOX file format which is not supported by Outlook. So, a direct import process is next to impossible.
Wait!! That’s not it. There’s more to the story!
Although Outlook cannot import directly from Thunderbird, there are methods around it. One way is to save the Thunderbird emails in EML format and drag them onto the Outlook interface. However, it can affect the integrity of data in the long run. And also is quite tedious when the mailbox is large. Another way around it is to convert the Thunderbird database to PST format. This allows Outlook to import emails in an easy manner. The two methods are summed up as follows:
- Manual workaround using EML file format
- Automated tool for a seamless conversion
These two methods are explained in the sections to follow.
Manual workaround using EML file format
- Fire up Mozilla Thunderbird.
- Open a mailbox folder and select all the email messages using the Ctrl+A shortcut key.
- Right-click and select Save as option.
- Select a folder to save all the files.
- Now, open the folder on the local system to verify all the EML files present in it.
- The next step is to fire up Microsoft Outlook.
- Create a new folder in it.
- Drag and drop all the EML files from the local system into the Outlook folder.
Do note that you will need to carry out these steps over and over for each mailbox folder in each Thunderbird account. Also, if you were to miss anything, it will result in data loss. This method does not guarantee the maintenance of email integrity.
Automated Tool to show how Outlook can import from Thunderbird
SysTools Thunderbird to Outlook converter is the best possible tool to ensure a seamless Thunderbird to PST conversion. It identifies all the data profiles of Thunderbird and directly converts them into PST format without any data loss. This remarkable tool also maintains the email attributes and folder structure of the Thunderbird database in PST files. As to how to import from Thunderbird to Outlook, do the following:
- Fire up SysTools converter for Thunderbird and click on the Add File button.
- Select Thunderbird from the list, choose Default Profile Configured option and proceed with the Next button.
- Select all the identities of Thunderbird to import into Outlook and hit the Process button.
- The software now previews all the Thunderbird emails and attachments within its interface.
- Click the Export button from the ribbon bar.
- Select the PST format and set the destination location to save the file.
- Click Export and the tool starts converting all the Thunderbird emails into Outlook PST.
Once the emails are converted into PST, all you need to do is to use the Import or Open functionality of Outlook and import these PST files in Outlook.
The article answers the question “Can Outlook import from Thunderbird?”. Although direct import is impossible, the article provides both the manual workaround an automated tool to import Thunderbird emails in Outlook. Users can choose any of the mentioned methods as per requirements. However, it is suggested to opt for the automated solution as it is more precise, faster, and free of any data-loss issues.
Created on Mar 25th 2020 03:13. Viewed 104 times.