Maximize 5G Potential for Your Business with a Real Time Charging Systemby Kumud Dixit Seo Expert
Although the launch of 5G is a great initiative in the race to match wired broadband speeds, its value for a telecom operator hinges upon several factors. Faster data connection may seem like a real boon for the subscribers, however, it does not automatically translates into profits for telcos. A lot was expected by telcos after the launch of 4G, which supplanted the erstwhile 3G connection. But instead of bringing in new revenue streams, it dug a hole in their pockets as subscribers were lured away by OTT (over the top) platforms like Netflix, Facetime and Skype. Hence, it is imperative for a telecom operator to be proactive in his strategy while tackling 5G. One way of ensuring that you maximize the advantages offered by 5G is by investing in a real time charging system that monetizes all your offerings.
6 Important Features of OCS
OCS (Online Charging System) is a real time charging system that is designed to match the current requirements of telecom billing. It is 3GPP release 11 compliant and works a lot better than the charging systems employed in traditional billing solutions, which lack the desired scalability and flexibility. Some key features of an online charging system and traditional charging systems are listed below:
1. Session based and event based charging for different telecom offerings like voice calls and SMS.
2. Identification of subscriber and service before offering access to a service.
3. Monitoring and tracking service usage and also maintaining records in the database.
4. Updating subscriber balance.
5. Management of important features like blacklisting, prepaid lifecycle, live balance etc.
6. Calculating charges as per CDRs (Call Data Records) and recording them in the system database
Things to Consider before Investing in a Real Time Charging System for 5G
Although OCS has immense benefits and can be a worthy upgrade for your older charging systems, there are certain things that you need to be mindful of before investing in a real time charging system.
1. Past and future compatibility — To ensure that OCS works with legacy and future applications, you should invest in a robust and backward compatible real time charging system. A good upgrade option is an OCS that can be integrated with older IN (intelligent network) along with next-gen IP, 5G, FTTH/HFC, wireless and wire line networks.
2. Postpaid/prepaid convergence — An OCS should allow for complete postpaid/prepaid convergence, so you can offer composite VAS (Value Added Services) along with video and voice services quickly.
3. Convergence between service and network — With so many different data speeds provided by different connectivity platforms e.g. CDMA 2.5G, LTE, WiMAX, Wi-Fi, 3G, IMS, 5G, broadband, it is important that an OCS should show true convergence in rating a variety of applications with different bandwidth requirements.
4. Intuitive graphical user interface (GUI) — To make operations simple, the OCS should have an easy to operate GUI that lets telcos customize their 5G offerings quickly and as per requirement.
5. Support vendor partnerships — A real time charging system should allow for the management of different vendor partnerships e.g. partnerships with MVNOs, MVNEs, OTT etc.
Created on Apr 25th 2019 05:43. Viewed 237 times.
No comment, be the first to comment.