5 Must-Have Features in an Intrusion Detection Systemby Eureka Forbes Owner
Most of us live in denial believing that a break-in is not going to ever happen at our place and that our homes are safe. Well, this is not really true. And, even if you are, isn’t it always better to be doubly assured, and not leave any chance of your safety being sacrificed.
Installing an Intruder Alarm System or Burglar Alarm System at your premises is one very effective way to secure your home. It protects your home in more than one way and is a great way to ensure security and safety.
Unlike previous days, the security systems now come with many features and are customised to provide ultimate protection to your homes. Along with the essential ones, here is a list of 5 such features that you should have in the security systems you choose to buy.
- Wireless Vs Wired Security System: The technology advancement in today’s era calls for wireless technologies, which can be installed anywhere, without wiring and drilling and other setups. Most major security providers have wireless systems available. On the contrary, wired networks are more complex and come with better features.
The benefit of going wireless need not be explained. No cable wire setup, no problematic installations, easy transferring from one location to another, and many more advantages come along with wireless security systems. Also, not all components of the system are going to be wireless. Some parts still need drilling and installations. However, in the end, it’s your call what you opt for.
- Variety of Sensors: Sensors play a significant part in a security system. These detectors identify if anything out of the ordinary happens. There are a few types of sensors that you can get installed for better safety like Glass Break Detectors, Shock Sensor, Smoke/ Heat Detector, etc. Make sure you install the detectors according to the risk assessment of your home.
- Remote Control Monitoring: Another essential feature that a security system must possess is remote control monitoring. This is especially important for people who stay away from their homes, for work or trips. Some of these security providers also provide for monitoring services. While you are away from your phone, the monitors of the security system keep an eye at your home 24*7, and the moment something unusual happens, the monitoring services and you are immediately informed. Upon confirmation of a possible intrusion or fire, the necessary authorities are notified.
- Essential Features of the Control Panel: No security alarm comes without a control panel; it is the brain of the entire system. However, you still have to consider the features the control panel comes with. The primary function of the control panel is to run the entire alarm system, the sensors, and monitors. All the sensors send messages to the control panel, and every time there is a break-in, the control panel will communicate the same to the monitoring station and the owner. Simultaneously, the panel also raises the alarm to alert the surroundings.
It is important that the control panel of your security system is highly capable, and an easy to use the device, with large keypad button, easy password setting, programmable labels, etc.
- Panic Buttons: There is another feature that the modern intrusion detection system these days come equipped with. It’s the Panic Buttons. These devices are quite useful in case of medical or other such emergencies. Upon pressing the panic button, the control panel is alerted, and it, in turn, informs the monitoring team about the medical emergency. This way the family member or patient can get medical supervision on time. This is especially important if you have kids or senior citizens at home.
The features that you look for mainly depend on your family, house, and lifestyle. While the above-listed features are important, there might be a few more that you might want to check out, like a CCTV camera, access control phones, etc. You can opt for a combination of such devices to protect your home completely.
Created on Oct 5th 2018 02:10. Viewed 204 times.