Ways to Hackproof your Family’s Smartphones
by karen minton I am a software engineer
Smartphones have changed the face of parenting. It has given a new dimension to everything now. All the information about all the topics is usually available on the internet. YouTube can make your children learn alphabets very quickly now.
Along with the efficiency, comes the risk of hacking. Hackers love to hack smartphones because they want to get access to the private information in it.
With the advent of Android and its availability at low prices, PC is less preferred; almost everyone wants to own a smartphone because of the simple reason that it is easy to carry and has several applications.
In a house, there are a number of smartphones under one roof, the risk of hacking is multiplied, piracy is havoc for parenting. No application provides 100% guarantee to protect your device, but below are some quick hacks which are available to minimize the risk;
- Begin thinking like a hacker: Start thinking like a criminal and find out every possible way to hack the phone, then feel like the protector and methodologically lock each door of entry. Get to know about your thinking capacity to save your device from danger.
- Never use simple passwords: Avoid use passwords like 12345 or ABC. Use complex passwords like Texas$85/.
- Try using MFA (multi-factor authentication): Try using passwords like your fingerprints, facial or iris detection. You can even consider getting a password manager for protecting your device.
- Do not go on trusting every application: All the apps are created differently; many of them don’t go through security. Predators can infect such applications which can affect your phone system. Before installing any app in your phone, get complete knowledge about it, read about its functions and reviews. Even some legitimate apps can be detrimental for your device. To remove an app’s access, go to apps and notifications on Android and make changes to the app permissions. On iOS, go to settings, select privacy and make changes.
- Take updates seriously and don’t click on any suspicious links: Some bad actors want to demolish your system while other want more downloads of their application. Don’t forget to reap the advantage of antivirus programs and cover all the family devices.
- Turn off the Bluetooth if not in use: Bluetooth opens your phone to all the vulnerabilities in the environment. It is a welcome door for predators, many times, they get a quick and easy access via Bluetooth. Unfortunately, the victim doesn’t realize when their privacy is at stake.
- Try to lock all the critical applications and log out of accounts if not in use: Try locking applications on your device; this will help you in keeping your privacy in check. Don’t get greedy with the availability of free WIFI; hackers can be your uninvited guests. Disable auto-fill if possible. Use your account with extreme care.
With the use of these simple techniques, one can minimize the risk of hacking. Parenting comes with significant responsibilities, follow it with some extra caution.
Source url :- https://www-mcafee-activate.com/ways-to-hackproof-your-familys-smartphones/
Karen Minton is a creative person who has been writing blogs and articles about cybersecurity. She writes about the latest updates regarding mcafee.com/activate and how it can improve the work experience of users. Her articles have been published in many popular e-magazines, blogs and websites.
Created on Aug 29th 2018 04:29. Viewed 1,210 times.