Screening Requirements for Surrogatesby Samit Sekhar Co-owner @ Gurgaon Fertility Centre
to become a surrogate is a life-changing decision for the intended couples as well as for yourself. Surrogacy is one of the most awesome gifts you can give to a couple or individual and at the same time, it is also a lengthy and sometimes challenging process that requires commitment, strength, and selflessness. The surrogacy process involved wide screening, medical and legal process so you need to carefully decide whether you are fully ready to begin the surrogacy process. You are recommended to contact Gurgaon Fertility Centre to understand the process of surrogacy in details. This hospital is one of the best surrogacy centre in Delhi NCR.
This screening process helps you to protect your physical and mental health as well as the health of the baby and ensures you are fully physically and psychologically ready for the surrogacy process. The wide requirements of the surrogate may vary by agency, but according to standards set by the American Society of Reproductive Medicine, the basic qualifications for becoming a surrogate may include the following requirements:
- According to the American Society of Reproductive Medicine, the age of surrogates should be between 21 and 45, but some other agencies require their surrogates to be older or younger
- BMI should be healthy enough. BMI value of 30 or less is acceptable.
- Do not smoke or an illicit drug user
- Do not have any felony convictions
- Free from any treatable STDs for at least 12 months
- Must have to wait at least 12 months since the last tattoo or piercing before going for surrogacy
- Have delivered at least baby and no more than having five vaginal births or three cesarean deliveries
- Be currently taking care of your child/ children in your home
- Do not involve in major complications from previous pregnancies
- Not using any antidepressants or anti-anxiety medications at least 12 months prior to the surrogacy process
- Should have a stable lifestyle and support system
- Manage to travel as required for appointments
- No government assistance
If you selected as a surrogate mother by a surrogacy professional’s and fulfilled their qualifications criteria, you can proceed further with the screening process. The surrogate screening process may vary depending on the agency you are associated with, but in general, it will include the following elements:
An application: The application for the process will most likely ask you some basic questions about yourself and the reasons for going for surrogacy. You may be asked for more detailed information about yourself after submitting the initial application by a surrogacy specialist.
Social and medical history: This information may be already has been asked the initial application. In many cases, the surrogacy agency may ask detailed information about you, your health history or your family background.
Basic physical examination: You will need to consult a fertility specialist for your physical exam and other lab tests in order to ensure that you are healthy enough for surrogacy.
In-home assessment: A social worker may visit you personally to talk more about your goal and motivations for opting surrogacy.
Background checks: You may need to go for background or standard criminal records checks.
Mental health check: You will need to consult a mental health care professional to ensure that you totally understand the pros and cons of surrogacy and a ready to accept the challenges of surrogate motherhood.
Created on Jul 20th 2019 12:43. Viewed 353 times.