Joint Replacement: Risks vs. Benefitsby Vivek Choudhary Nice life
A joint replacement can really ease your pain; however, it’s incapable of restoring the normal functioning of your hip or knee which you had in your younger days. Here we talk about a few benefits and risks of a joint replacement surgery coupled with intense post-operative rehab.
- In the course of a hip or knee replacement, or spine surgery in India, an orthopedic surgeon takes away the damaged, corroded surfaces of the joint.
- Removed joints are then replaced by metal or plastic implants.
- This relieves of pain to a significant extent as the diseased bones or cartilages cease to exist.
- The second benefit is the remarkable level of improvement brought about in the way your joint functions.
- Nonetheless, the results often prove to be less predictable.
- Once a new hip or knee is incorporated, a number of people can walk with more ease and flexibility.
- A few of them may even find it effortless to play golf or ride a bike.
- However, guarantees to such improvements are hardly any.
- As is the case with other surgeries, joint replacement surgery also carries its own share of customary perils.
- Odds are you may pick up infections or blood clots.
- You’re more predisposed to these risks if you have:
o An underlying heart disease
o Uncontrolled diabetes or blood sugar levels
o A weak or compromised immune system that fails to establish a defense against the onslaught of germs
- Your joint replacement surgeon may come up with prescriptions of antibiotics and blood-thinning medications to try and alleviate a few complications.
- Another major risk is the fact that the newly implanted joint may not work as per your expectations.
o You might experience stiffness or weakness, especially, when it comes to a knee replacement.
o Patients who fail to recuperate actively may eventually not be able to gain back their erstwhile maximum range of motion.
- To garner the best outcomes from your hip or knee surgery, carefully abide by the schedule of your rehabilitation consisting of medications, exercise, and rest.
- Even though it seldom happens you may experience a loosening or dislocation of your implant over time.
- Besides, keep in mind the fact that your joint replacement surgery which happened at an orthopedic hospital can grind down because of normal wear and tear after about a period of nearly 20 years.
- You shouldn't have expectations of moving your joints the manner you did 20 or 30 years prior.
- This hints at the fact that you’re in the need for another surgery in the future.
Is joint replacement the right option for you?
- In case you, in actuality, have pain or muscle pain, then a back pain treatment in India, instead of a joint replacement would be more productive.
- Your orthopedic doctor can distinguish the difference if he carries out a meticulous physical examination and inquires about where and what’s precisely hurting you.
Created on Sep 11th 2019 03:21. Viewed 60 times.