How to secure your MS-Excel file with a strong password?
by Bailey Martin SEO Expert
Securing your MS-Excel file with a strong password is not the only step to protect it from getting exploited, they are many ways or layers to protect it but this is just the first step. A strong password should contain the unique password which is hard to guess or break because a weak password is an easy task for them to break.
But there is a slight difference between protecting as well as securing. Protecting means it limits the users’ accessing powers, who manage to come inside, some of the other way. And securing means restrict the users’ from getting inside and saving any changes.
Here, this article learns about why it is important to secure your Office setup Excel with a password and how to do so.
Follow the steps as listed below to put a password to your MS-Excel file-
With Save As function to secure the Excel file
- Open the particular file, you want to secure with a password.
- Depending on the version of Microsoft Excel-
- For MS-Excel 2007 – Select the ‘Office button’ and click on the ‘Save As’ option.
- For MS-Excel 2010 – Select the ‘File’ tab and click on the ‘Save as’ option.
- Choose the ‘tools’ option from the toolbar and click on the ‘Save’ option.
- In Microsoft Excel 2007 and 2010 – Select the ‘Tools’ option from the left side of the dialog box.
- In the display dialog box, you can set two passwords:
- To open the file
- Make a modification into the file.
Note- The advanced option will allow you to set the encryption option for the security purpose.
To download the Microsoft Excel for enjoying this feature, you need to visit office.com/setup.
- In the ‘Password to open’ box, enter your choose password and click on the ‘Ok’ option.
- Re-Confirm the password.
- Choose the ‘OK’ option to shut the above dialog boxes, to return to the ‘Save as’ option.
- Select the ‘Save’ option to save the Excel file with its password.
- Congratulation! Your MS-Excel file is now secure with the password.
With Info command function to secure the MS-Excel file
- Open the Microsoft Excel file that you wish to put the password.
- In MS-Excel 2010 or 2013- Select the ‘File’ > ‘Info’ > ‘Protect the file’ > ‘Encrypt with password’ option.
In MS-Excel 2007- Click on the ‘Office button’ > ‘Prepare’ > ‘Encrypt Document’.
- Enter the password into the ‘Password’ box, after an ‘Encrypt document’ box pops-out.
- Click on the ‘Ok’ option.
- Re-confirm the password in the ‘Confirm password’ box.
- Select the ‘Ok’ option to close the dialog box and save the file.
- Congratulation! Your Excel file is all set up with the password.
Created on Aug 27th 2018 06:50. Viewed 117 times.