How to Fix Cortana Using Excessive Memory in Windows 10by Alessia Martine office.com/setup
Cortana is a voice assistant on Windows. Microsoft created Cortana, and it recognizes more than a thousand voice commands. Cortana is quite helpful in searching the web and several other tasks that can be done with voice command only. You can manually type a specific search in Cortana search bar or can do the same by giving a voice command. Besides all of this, several users do not prefer Cortana on their Windows 10 PC or laptop due to several reasons. On the other hand, many users complain about Cortana’s high usage of memory on their Windows 10 system. There are several reports by users which show that Cortana does occupy high memory on your Windows 10 and laptop whether it’s in use or not. So if you are a Windows 10 user and feel the same, then you have come to the right place. Here are some of the best and effective methods to resolve this issue in no time.
By using Commands to disable Cortana
Using Commands to disable Cortana is one of the best and most convenient methods to resolve this high memory consumption issue on your Windows 10 system. Besides, users do not know which commands they can use to disable Cortana on their PC. To use these commands, you may follow the steps listed below:
- At first, open up Command Prompt by searching it in the Start menu or using the search button next to it.
- After that, right-click on the first entry appears and choose Run as Administrator from the context menu.
- After that, you can type in the following command and make sure to press the Enter button after you type in any command.
/f “%WinDir%\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy” /a /r /d y
icacls “%WinDir%\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy” /inheritance:r /grant:r Administrators:(OI)(CI)F /t /c
taskkill /im SearchUI.exe /f
By removing the search UI.exe file
It is another best method available to you to resolve this issue. Several users do not know they can disable Cortana on their Windows 10 PC and laptop by removing the search UL.exe file. By deleting this file on your PC, you can disable Cortana in no time. To do so, follow the steps listed below:
- Press Windows Key + R to open up the Run dialog box on the screen.
- Type ‘ms-settings’ in the search bar and press the Enter button.
- After opening up the Settings section, click on Cortana settings.
- Now, set the slider to off.
- After that, open up the libraries on your Windows 10 PC.
- Now, open any folder and click on This PC from the menu.
- Now, go to the location’C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy’ to search the SearchUI.exe file which must be deleted to disable Cortana.
- After locating the file by using the command mentioned in the previous step, delete it by right clicking on it.
- At last, check if Cortana has been disabled or not.
Lily Johnsol is a Microsoft Office expert and has been working in the technical industry since 2002. As a technical expert, Davis has written technical blogs, manuals, white papers, and reviews for many websites such as office.com/setup.
Created on Sep 26th 2019 04:02. Viewed 50 times.