How to Fix a Mac that Keeps Shutting Down Randomlyby Andria Scott Writer
Does your Mac shut down randomly without any warning and signs? If your Mac keeps turning off automatically, then it is a serious issue that requires your attention. In this guide, we will discuss the different ways to resolve the issue.
How to Fix Your Mac When It Keeps Shutting Down
Whenever your device turns off for no reason, the first thing you should do is power on your device and then restart it. This will fix the data loss issues and will turn off your programs correctly. Keep in mind that it will not solve the random shut down problem, but will only fix the programs that might be affected by the recent random shut down.
According to Apple, to fix this problem on a Mac, users should reset the System Management Controller, also known as the SMC of their devices. It is a subsystem in Mac devices that runs on Intel CPU. This SMC oversees various essential things in a Mac such as sleep and wake, battery charging, LED indicators, video mode switching, and others.
Before you reset the SMC of your Mac, Apple advises to obey these steps:
- If your device is not responding, long-press the power key until it turns off. After that, hit the power key again to turn on your device.
- Now hit the Cmd + Option + Esc keys on your keyboard at the same time to close the apps that are misbehaving.
- Now make your device sleep by selecting Sleep from Apple Menu.
- Wake up your Mac once your Mac falls in sleep.
- Reboot the device then.
- Now shut down your Mac as you usually do.
Steps to Reset SMC in Mac
If your MacBook’s battery is non-removable, then follow these steps:
- Shut down your device.
- Plugin the Magsafe charger to your device.
- On the default keyboard of your MacBook, hit and hold the left side Shift + Control + Option keys at the same time.
- Now hit the Power key while pressing the above keys.
- Let go of all keys on your keyboard.
- Now press the Power key once more to power on your device.
- You have successfully reset the SMC on your device.
In case your laptop’s battery is removable, you should stick to these instructions:
- First, Power off your device.
- Make sure your device is not connected to the charger.
- Take out the battery carefully from your device.
- Long press the power key on your device for about 5 seconds.
- Connect the battery back to your device.
- Now plug in the charger as well.
- Hit the Power key to switch on your Mac.
- You have reset the SMC effectively.
If you own a desktop Mac such as iMac, Mac Pro or Mac mini, then follow these steps:
- First and foremost, shut down your device.
- Disconnect the power cable.
- Hold on for 15 seconds.
- Connect the power cord again to your Mac.
- Now hold down for 5 seconds.
- After that, quickly press the Power key.
- This will turn on your computer.
- Voila, your Mac SMC has been reset.
Once you have reset the SMC on your Mac, it should fix the problem of random shut down on your Mac device. You will not see the error as long as SMC is in good condition. After a few months, if you see your Mac again shutting down randomly, reset the SMC once again.
Emily Hadley is an avid technical blogger, a magazine contributor, a publisher of guides at Blogs Book, and a professional cyber security analyst. Through her writing, she aims to educate people about the dangers and threats lurking in the digital world. Read My Site webgeeks.uk
Created on Aug 14th 2020 02:56. Viewed 131 times.