Student Visa Guide for USA

by Rita Biswas Consultant

A visa, as you might know, is a legal entry pass to a foreign country. To go on a short visiting trip to the desired country or a business visit or for studies abroad, individuals need to apply for a visa. Not to forget, a valid passport is the basic document to issue a visa. The United States of America, too, has its own set of rules and regulations under which the Embassy confer a certain type of visa to the individual when the requirements are met. These different kinds of visas are broadly classified under two categories; immigrant and non-immigrant visa.

In the year 2018-2019, the number of US student visa issued to international students for academic and training programmes was 362,929. Can you believe it?

Yes. A US student visa is issued to an international student who wishes to go for a bachelor’s or a master’s programme, to pursue training or vocational studies. Well, there are sub-types of student visa as well! Let’s delve into the types, requirements and rights of US student visa.

Types of Student Visa

F-1 Visa- Students travelling, staying and pursuing higher academic studies like bachelor’s, master’s programme or language training should apply for an F1 visa. The holder may engage in on-campus employment activities in the first year and off-campus employment only after first year.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT), Optional Practical Training (OPT) and STEM optional practical training extension are the three types of employment domain.

M-1 Visa- This type of visa is granted to students enrolled in any vocational subject other than language training. Practical trainings can be undertaken only after students have completed the course successfully.

J-1 Visa- It allows foreign nationals to pursue internships, research, teach and carry out professional work for as long as the visa is valid.

Foreign nationals should have confirmed enrolment for the full-time course and in an accredited school of choice.


Documents Required

The USA study visa requirements as stated by the US immigration website are as follows:

Ø  A passport that is valid for at least 6 months beyond the period of stay in the USA.

Ø  Confirmation page of non-immigrant visa application form (DS-160)

Ø  A receipt of the application fee payment of pre-interview process is required if asked.  An application fee of $160 is required to be paid along with 350$ towards Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).

Ø  A passport size photograph

Ø  Form I-20 whether you’ve applied for F-1 visa or M-1 visa

The candidate might be asked to show some additional documents during interview process such as diplomas, degrees or schooling certificates, test scores and evidence that there is enough balance in your account to support your living while you study in US along with the tuition fee.

Once you’ve submitted all the documents, be ready for the personal interview process where your capability is tested. Upon approval of the visa, an issuance fee should be paid which is subjected to the nationality. The processing time differs based on the season, nationality and region. The applicants should wait for the result for at least 180 days after being interviewed.

There are types of US visas other than student visa. You may consult with an authorized study abroad consultants to seek out queries on visa and get through guidance about best courses to study abroad in US. Feel free to ask as these consultants do not charge for the services.

Hope you got an idea of US student visa! Keep looking at the page for more related information.

Sponsor Ads

About Rita Biswas Innovator   Consultant

20 connections, 0 recommendations, 54 honor points.
Joined APSense since, December 19th, 2018, From Nagpur, India.

Created on Apr 8th 2020 03:14. Viewed 217 times.


No comment, be the first to comment.
Please sign in before you comment.