Impact of Technology on Legal Career in Indiaby Richa Jha Asistent Manager Along with digitization and internet, the role of law professionals is also upgrading. The technologies around law students and professionals in legal career are revolutionizing according to the digital landscape in India.
The country is now host to some of the best Indian social networking sites and that is also having an impact from the courtrooms to law firms.
The automation of legal processes has caused lawyers, legal secretaries and other such professionals to become proficient at an ever-increasing array of spreadsheet, telecommunications, digital law diary, database, legal research software and presentation.
Modern technology has had an impact on all facets from a start-up to law firm to courtroom functioning and documentation.
Here are the major impact of technology on legal career in India –
1. Law Firm Technology Upgrade
• The most significant development that has taken place here, is the gradual replacement of traditional paper invoices with ‘’e-billing’’. Technology has become a vital legal marketing method.
• Electronic case management has also led to more efficient document handling. Firms are now employing databases to edit, search and distribute the documents on Indian social networking sites while simultaneously storing volumes of case files in the archive section.
2. Corporate Law
• More and more companies are now leveraging technology as a key strategic asset in corporate legal departments.
• Whether it is filing trademarks and patents, or tracking subsidiary data, creating organizational charts or monitoring outside counsel fees, computer software is available for almost all corporate functions.
3. Law Professionals
• Gone are the days when lawyers, paralegals, and other legal professionals used bulky manual law diaries. More than ever before, the law professionals are now relying upon digital law diary. These are available in the form of mobile app and can be used to add or edit case details, set reminders, share case details with colleagues and clients, etc.
• People associated with legal career in research now have a wide range of online databases and electronic legal means to perform research, verify case and track data and share on Indian social networking sites.
4. Courtroom E-filing
• Filing documents electronically with the court or ‘’E-filing’’ has now become commonplace. Many courts allow counsel to access court documents remotely as the courts post filings on web-based databases.
• Courtrooms are increasingly getting equipped with the facilities of an electronic era. Modern equipment and built-in tv screens facilitate the use of trial presentation software and other such technology in the courtroom.
The relation between legal professionals and technology can be seen separately in terms of further debate, but both are joined and depend on each other. Any debate on technology must consider legal career framework in which it functions to enhance the future. In terms of wider business economy, it has brought in a welcome change with great consumer and business benefit with a modern work structure.
Source : http://www.sooperarticles.com/law-articles/impact-technology-legal-career-india-1627572.html
Created on Jan 8th 2018 03:45. Viewed 200 times.
No comment, be the first to comment.