How to Use Xbox 360 Controller With Windowsby elina John IT Expert
Whether you like action or racing video games, it is best to have a gaming controller instead of buzzing your hands on the pitiful keyboard and mouse. In case you already got a gaming controller of a game console like Microsoft’s Xbox 360’s controller. These kinds of controllers make the gaming experience extremely comfortable, and you would be able to use all of your potentials into a game while using a high-end controller.
The Microsoft Xbox 360 is one of the top-notch quality controllers, and its controller offers many essential and additional keys to control a video game along with great comfort. When a user holds it into the hands, it fills him up with confidence and excitement to play favorite games. However, the challenge appears when you wish to connect it with your Windows PC since that procedure can be a bit of confusion for the tech newbies. In this guide, you will be walked throughout the procedure of connecting the Xbox 360 Controller to a Windows PC. So what’s the wait? Let’s kick start.
Step 1: Connecting the Cordless Receiver
In case you got a wireless Xbox 360 controller, only then focus on this step. Otherwise, you could jump to that next step. The wireless controller users will have to make a bit more effort since it is not simple as plugging in a cable and start playing; it is way beyond that. You have to make sure that you have a compatible receiver for your Xbox 360 controller and if you don’t have it then make sure to buy one. Once you have the compatible receiver, just plug it into your computer. When the receiver is connected, you will see a glowing green light on your receiver.
Step 2: Installing the Drivers
Now that you have connected a wireless or wired-one controller to the PC, your next step is to install the drivers to make your computer recognize your controller. To install the essential bundle of drivers for the Xbox 360 controller, please follow this guide:
- In case you have got a software installation disc with your controller then make sure to put the CD or disc on your PC. In case you have no software installation CD, just see the next step.
- Head to the https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-my/d/xbox-360-wireless-controller-for-windows link.
- In case the controller is wired, then head to this https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-id/d/xbox-360-controller-for-windows link.
- Select the Windows version you are using like Windows 10 or 7.
- Also choose the other things when asked like 32 bit or 64 bit, the language of OS and more.
- Hit the Download link.
- When the download completes, open the downloaded file and then choose the Run option to initiate the installation.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
Step 3: Syncing the Controller
Now the next step is to make sure that your wired controller is plugged in and then it is ready for the testing. In case the controller is cordless, you would have to pair the wireless controller to the receiver plugged into your PC. To do so in a recommended way, please obey the instructions mentioned down here;
- firstly, switch on the controller by long-pressing the Xbox Guide key on the controller.
- Once the controller is activated, you should see a green color backlight on it.
- Now on the receiver of the controller which is connected to the PC, tap the connect key located on the uppermost of the receiver.
- You should see a blinking green indication on the receiver telling that it is ready to pair.
- Now press the corresponding key on the controller.
- Once the controller and receiver get successfully paired to each other, you will see a dark green stable light on the controller.
Step 4: Testing the Controller
Once the Controller is connected to the computer, no matter you got the wired one or wireless, the next thing is to test it for the possible issues. Head to the Start menu and then put in a game controller, then choose the option named Set up USB game controllers.
After that hit the keys on your controllers, move the joysticks, pull the triggers to make sure that every key is responding with your Windows PC. In case you see any error in the keys, you can use the Xbox support site to fix the issues in no time.
Step 5: Begin Playing
The Xbox 360 Controller is now ready to be shattered by your enthusiastic fingertips on your favorite video games. Always make sure that your controller is connected to the PC before you run a game because if you plug in the controller in the middle of the game, then chances are less that it will work properly.
Elina John is a self-professed security expert; she has been making the people aware of the security threats. Her passion is to write about Cyber security, cryptography, malware, social engineering, internet and new media. She writes for Mcafee security products at mcafee.com/activate.
Created on Feb 24th 2020 23:20. Viewed 258 times.