How to Relocate iTunes Backup in Windows 10by Ricky Johnshon mobile office
Apple offers its iTunes service with support for Windows 10 as well. Since there were numerous users having an iOS device but running their computer system on Windows, this compatibility wasn’t successful. But, Apple realized the fact and later released iTunes supporting the computers running on Windows 10. Now, the customers of both companies are satisfied with the compatibility of their devices.
Apple didn’t provide any option or settings in iTunes to change the location of the backup. It doesn’t look like that the users are still not capable of doing it since the company seems not to be providing the facility to relocate the backup file. Still, there is some workaround which might want to follow to make iTunes back up your device to another drive. This will let you free up your primary disk storage wherein you can keep other important programs and applications.
Steps to relocate iTunes Backup in Windows 10
- Create a new folder for the backup location.
- Name the folder as the New iTunes Backup.
- Now, press the Windows key + RIt will open the Run program.
- Type %APPDATA%\Apple Computer\MobileSyncand press Enter.
- For Windows Store version of iTunes, type C:\Users\[Username]\Apple\MobileSync.
- Remember to replace C: with the drive, you have MobileSync
- Now, click Ok. The window will open the iTunes MobileSync folder.
- In the MobileSync folder, you can see the Backup
- Now rename the folder by replacing the name with old. This folder will be needed to copy the existing backup.
- Now, press the shift keyand right-click on the empty space in the window.
- Select PowerShellWindow to open it.
- Now, there two types of command line depending upon the version of your iTunes.
- For desktop version of iTunes, type – cmd /c mklink /J “%APPDATA%\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup” “D:\New iTunes Backup”
For the Windows Store version of iTunes type – cmd /c mklink /J “C:\Users\[Username]\Apple\MobileSync\Backup” “D;\New iTunes Backup” command.
- Again remember to replace the C: drive with your drive with the folder.
- Now press the Enterbutton to execute the command.
- Now, you can see a new folder called Backupin the MobileSync.
- Go to old
- Now, cut pastethe content in the folder to create a backup folder.
- Connectyour iOS device with a computer system.
- Select the This Computeroption and click Back Up Now.
- After completion of the process, visit the new backup location.
- The primary backup folder will be updated. Look at the timeof folder matching with your system’s time.
- When you require the backup, you will need to attach your iOS device and the iTunes will automatically will detect the backup even the archived one.
Compatibility between Windows and iTunes is surely convenient, but the procedure to relocate the backup is quite lengthy. Still, the compatibility of the company’s services is helpful for the users. You can now create a backup in the changed folder and restore it anytime only by connecting iTunes to the computer system.
Ricky johnson is a Microsoft Office expert and has been working in the technical industry since 2002. As a technical expert, Samuel has written technical blogs, manuals, white papers, and reviews for many websites such as office.com/setup
Created on Oct 2nd 2018 07:56. Viewed 1,151 times.