How to Fix Windows Error 1406 While Installing Softwareby Harry Williams Manager
User can face some errors while installing any software on their PC or laptop. It is not linked to specific software. All of these, one of the most common Error 1406. You will get a error message on your screen like as-Error 1406 setup could not write value to key. Most often it does occur when a user tries to install a piece of software. We will know about the some easy troubleshooting methods to fix Windows error 1406.
Method 1: Starts the Software as Administrator:
Sometimes, it can be error occurs due to the application running process, try to fix it by using this below given method:
- Right click on the application .exe file;
- Click on the Run option as administrator.
Method 2: Conduct a Clean Boot:
You can be solve this error by performing a clean boot and re-installing of the software.
Please follow the given instructions to perform a clean boot in different Windows:
To Windows Xp, Vista and 7:
- Log into your computer using Administrator account.
- Click on the “Start” and type “msconfig.exe” in the Search box, click on the “Enter”.
- Hit on the “General tab”, click on the “Selective Startup” option, clear the Load startup items.
- Hit on the “Services” tab, click on the “Hide all Microsoft services” option, click on “Disable all” option.
- After that, restart your computer.
To Windows 8 and 8.1:
- Tap on the Search, type msconfig and then click on the “msconfig”.
- Hit on the General tab; click on the “startup” option, clear the Load startup items.
- Click on the “Services” tab, click on the “Hide all Microsoft Services” option
- Click on “Disable all”.
- Hit on the “Startup” tab in task manager.
- Choose each startup item and click on the “Disable” option.
- At last, restart your computer.
- After the reboot, reinstall your software.
- if the issue still persist then try to perform the next given method.
Method 3: Provide a Full Permission to Software:
Follow the below given steps to provide a full permission of your software.
- First hit on the “Search Tab”, type “Regedit” and click “enter”.
- Registry Editor will open, On the left side list see for the location provided in the error status bar.
- Such as – location shown in the error starts with Software\
- Then look for the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\…
- Right click on the open folder, click on “Permission”.
- Select the Administrators group and hit the Allow Checkbox under in front of Full Control.
- Choose the “SYSTEM” group and confirm that you have selected the full Control under the Allow column.
- Go to “permission dialog box” and then click on the “Advanced”
- Hit on the “Owner tab” and select the “Administrators group” and cluck on the “Replace owner On Subcontainers and Objects” option then click on the “OK”.
- Hit on the “Permissions tab” –> choose the Replace all child object permission with inheritable permissions from this object, click on the “OK”.
- Now open all the open windows and try to re-install software again.
If your error still persists, reboot your system and retry the installation process.
After that, if the issue still persists then follow the next method.
Method 4: Use ‘Fix it’ Tool:
- It is Microsoft automatic troubleshooter application, it can resolve any issue automatically without any user interference.
- Download the Fix it application by following below steps
- .After complete the installing and running process of the application, click on the “Run”.
- It will automatically fix your Error 1406. Now enjoy running the installation.
- After that, restart your computer.
If you have any other query regarding this post then you can ask by Microsoft customer support to get a right suggestion.
For more information, kindly visit: Office.com/Setup | Office.com/MyAccount | Office.com/Setup 365
Created on May 5th 2018 04:00. Viewed 401 times.