How to Enable Parental Controls on YouTubeby elina John IT Expert
The internet has its pros and cons and being a part of it, YouTube is a platform that needs parental guidance as well. Its content can be instructive as well as useful for kids; however, if there will be no filter of any type, then a child can indulge in inappropriate stuff and also a lot of time spent on screen.
It can be complex for parents to present all the time and to control everything and what to do in such a situation. So it is become necessary to enable parental controls on YouTube to protect their kids. If you want to enable parental controls on YouTube, then you are on the right post. Read through the blog and follow the instructions to execute it.
Restricted Mode on Web Browser
No matter what your child’s age is, the first thing you must do is to allow Restricted mode on YouTube to make it safe for kids. This will filter the search results of YouTube. The content then goes through the filtering procedure to remove any inappropriate content.
Also, it filters contents that have been flagged as inappropriate by the YouTube community and those contents that are considered as age-restricted by creators. Always remind that there are lots of content available on YouTube. If there is Restricted Mode available to protect children from the content, which is explicit nature, it is not completely effective.
Follow the provided steps to activate restricted mode on a web browser:
- Launch YouTube and then click on the photo of yours.
- Scroll at the bottom and then select the Restricted Mode option: off.
- The windows are visible to you that illustrate this option will hide the mature content. Click on the Activate Restricted mode option.
- Choose the Lock Restricted Mode option on the browser so that kids cannot touch this setting.
Restricted Mode on Mobile Phones
Mostly children watch YouTube on smartphones and tablets. So it is important to activate this mode on the phone. The work of a Restricted mode is similar to a browser. It will restrict inappropriate content, but it is not completely effective.
If you want to activate Restricted Mode on Mobile Phones, then abide by the given instructions:
- Open YouTube.
- Navigate to the Account.
- Launch Settings.
- Click on the General option.
- Scroll down, and you will locate the Restricted Mode button. Use slider to switch on the feature.
- Choose X option on the screen and then save the changes.
Use YouTube Kids App
If you wish to use YouTube Kids app, then pursue the given instructions:
- Open YouTube kids and log in.
- Read the complete agreement of YouTube Kids parental and then click on the Done option.
- Customize the profile for your kid by adding the birth date. It will utilize this to customize profiles with the age-appropriate content for kids.
- Select the content experience
- Younger (Ages 5-7)
- Preschool (Ages 4 and under)
- Approve content accordingly
- Older (Ages 8-12)
- Then it guides the complete parent feature of YouTube Kids. Then you can locate entire parental control settings and also how to report the content and also block it.
Kids may use YouTube kid’s apps without any issue. You can change the settings whenever you want.
How to Report Inappropriate Videos
If you want to report inappropriate videos, then you can follow the provided steps:
- Launch the app.
- Navigate to the Watch page of a video that you need to report.
- Click on More at the upper corner.
- Choose the Report option.
- Select the reason why you want to report this video.
As you report the content, it will not display in YouTube kids anymore. However, only to report the video will not remove the content from YouTube.
Elina John is a self-professed security expert; she has been making the people aware of the security threats. Her passion is to write about Cyber security, cryptography, malware, social engineering, internet and new media. She writes for Mcafee security products at mcafee.com/activate.
Created on Feb 18th 2020 00:19. Viewed 253 times.