Boat driving license- how to take the valid one?

by Xclusive Sea School Boat Training
There are many situations where you don't require any formal qualifications, although obviously training is important in order to guarantee your safety. There are also different particular licenses you need in certain waterways or circumstances. A normal boat driving licence is a minimum requirement if you're driving any vessel for recreational purposes at 10 knots (approximately 18.5 km/h) or more, on NSW waters.

To obtain your general boat driving licence, you'll require to:

  • Evidence of practical boating (logbook) experience
  • Successfully commencement of the general boat license knowledge test.
  • You can book an appointment to undertake the knowledge test and apply for your license, at a service center. Rather, if you've completed the requirements with a certified training provider you can post your application.
  • Once your license has been qualified, you can use it digitally using your smartphone or tablet device. You'll need to have a My Service NSW Account and the latest version of the Service NSW app. You can then add Maritime to your My Service NSW Account.

How to Proceed

  • Choose the 'Book an appointment' button.
  • Opt your required service center and 'Select'.
  • Select a date and time for your appointment.
  • Enter your details to confirm your booking.
  • Make sure you have all the necessary documentation.
  • Attend your appointment at the service center.
  • If you've finished the requirements with an RTP:
  • Gather all the needed documentation.

Types of Boat Driving licence

  1. Ship Radio License: All vessels, in addition to private pleasure boats, equipped with VHF or longer range radio transceiver should have a Ship Radio License. This consists of handheld VHFs, satellite communication equipment, radar, emergency position indicating radio beacons (EPIRBs) and search and rescue transponders (SARTs).
  2. Short Range Radio Operator’s License: In addition, anyone is executing a marine VHF radio (or a longer range Medium Frequency or High-Frequency set) must themselves be qualified, or at least operate the equipment under the direct instruction of someone who is. The main course for this is the RYA’s Short Range Marine Radio Course.

The 10-hour syllabus includes everything you need to know to understand the correct process in a wide range of situations consists of distress working and can be completed online. There’s then a short practical and written test that must be finished before you can be issued with the license.

The course costs near about £70 and the exam and licenses £60. Similar training is available for longer range radio communications, which aims at those who want to sail across oceans. The International Convention for Safety of Life at Sea lays down a handful of key regulations that all vessels must comply with. Main requirements are Passage planning, taking into account all potential dangers, weather forecasts, tidal predictions, the competence of the crew and so on.

Solas also sets out the obligations that needed all vessels to respond to distress messages and the option of misuse of distress signals. Also, on the high seas, or any waterway directly connected to the high seas, you are required to fix to the International Regulations for the Prevention of Collisions at Sea.

  1. Insurance: While there are no national regulations that compel boat owners to have insurance, almost every harbor, marina, sailing club or another mooring provider, along with the Canal and River Trust, needs a minimum of third party cover. This is, therefore, a minimum requirement for all boat owners and such policies can be easily obtained for less than £100 per year.

Boats over 13.7m: Private pleasure boats of more than 13.7m in length have more onerous requirements in terms of the lifesaving and firefighting equipment they must carry.


Canal and River Trust/ Environment Agency Licenses: If you use a boat on a canal or river then you will need a license for the vessel from the Canal and River Trust or the Environment Agency, rely on which waterways you want to navigate. These are available for time periods of 30 days, three months, six months or 12 months. To be qualified the boat must have a Boat Safety Certificate and insurance to cover a minimum of £1,000,000 of third-party liability.

Some different waterways or harbors require you to pay harbor dues to use the water in that area -check locally in the area where you are searching to use your craft.

About Xclusive Sea School Junior   Boat Training

3 connections, 0 recommendations, 16 honor points.
Joined APSense since, March 11th, 2018, From Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

Created on Dec 16th 2018 11:54. Viewed 799 times.


No comment, be the first to comment.
Please sign in before you comment.