5 Toxic Ingredients To Avoid in Your Skincareby Mom Busywitty momma that reviews
Every day, we expose ourselves to toxins through the air we breathe, the food we eat and the products we use on our skin. Our skin is permeable and studies have shown that certain skin care ingredients can penetrate the skin and accumulate in our body and cause harm. So, it is important to keep an eye on the set of ingredients present in body and face care products you are putting on your skin. Not every product out there is good for your skin irrespective of their claims. And, we are here to help you choose better products and throw some lights on which ingredients you should avoid.
It is possible for you to ask a question like- “What happens if I have been using such products for years?” The answer, however, is slightly complicated. The effects of using such toxic products shows up in a person sooner or later and quite differently. Your skin type, genetics, climate and diet might be probable reasons behind the delay in appearançe of signs. But it does! Some effects show up as skin dryness and redness that doesn’t go away unless you switch to a natural product while other more severe effects can show up as hormonal imbalances in the body. The EU bans over 1,400 chemicals and ingredients from being used in personal care products however not every country and company is stringent about the ingredients they use. At the end of the day, it’s important to do your due diligence and check the ingredients on the label to make sure you are choosing safe products.
Which ingredients should you avoid in skincare?
Here are 5 toxic ingredients you must avoid at any cost:
- Parabens: Used as a preservative in personal care products such as body lotions, shampoo, conditioners, soaps and cosmetics and increasing their shelf life, it now has been a hot topic for debate. According to studies, Parabens are hormone disruptors and can mimic estrogen in the body. Parabens have also been linked to breast cancer and some parabens can cause reproductive and developmental harm. Read the label to avoid ethylparaben, propylparaben and ingredients ending in -paraben.
- Sulphates: Common as Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) or Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES), such chemical compounds, they create strong lather and are commonly found in body washes, shampoos, soaps and face washes. They are known to strip the skin of natural oils and result in excessively dry skin.
- Fragrance/ Parfum: Used as an umbrella term for up to 100 chemical ingredients which can make up a particular scent. They are commonly made from chemicals such as Phthalates and toluenes. They impart an elegant smell to skincare products but in reality are harmful. Because of the variety of chemicals used to create fragrance, their side effects are also varied but can range from skin rashes and allergies to breast cancer, reproductive harm and hormone disruption.
- Phenoxyethanol: Phenoxyethanol is an active ingredient often used as a stabilizer or preservative with antibacterial properties. Exposure to Phenoxyethanol has been linked to allergic skin reactions such as redness, itching, dryness. It can also impair the immune system and the body’s ability to fight against infections. It has been deemed unsafe for moms-to-be and new moms.
- Phthalates: This ingredient is a fragrance ingredient and is used to make the scent linger and is commonly found in soaps, shampoos, lotions, perfumes and aftershave. Phthalates have been linked to a wide range of health concerns which include endocrine disruption, developmental and reproductive toxicity. Phthalates can be difficult to find in the ingredient labels however, whenever possible, choose personal care products that are free of artificial fragrances.
Not only are these ingredients harmful for your body, they are also known to be harmful for the environment as they don’t break down and can accumulate in the soil and water bodies. Along with these 5 toxins, there are few others like Mineral Oils, PEGs, Silicone and more that can also have toxic effects. To take care of this problem, there are few tips you can follow to avoid the presence of such chemical compounds in your skincare products:
- Check the labels and ingredient sections properly
- A swift research on the Internet can give you tonnes of study results in various chemical compounds. Do that!
- Some brands can mask the ingredient sections with pseudonyms making it a hide and seek game. A clear knowledge about these pseudonyms will take you a long way on this journey to find the perfect skincare product.
- Look for natural cleansers-based skincare products that are void of strong lathering chemical agents.
- Avoid products that are tested on Animals. Switch to cruelty-free products that can often be certified by PETA.
- Plastic-safe products are also a plus. Plastic is known to be harmful to the environment and the product it is storing. It is advisable to go for products in a glass bottle or plastic-safe certification.
- Turn to natural and organic skincare products that are clinically tested and certified by the Government for safe use.
- Whenever possible, choose personal care products that don’t contain artificial fragrances in them.
The Moms Co. has a range of natural skincare products for moms-to-be, moms and babies that is Australian-certified, Toxin-free. The products are hypoallergenic and mild on skin. They are chemical-free and have no adverse effects on your skin and health. We bring you the safest and trustworthy products you can use without worrying about how it’s going to affect you and your little one. So, you don’t have to compromise your safety for high-quality natural skincare products, we have got you covered.
Created on Oct 22nd 2020 06:12. Viewed 437 times.