Scenario of Knee Replacement in Indiaby Shri Niwas Prajapati Digital Marketing
Know your Knee!
Knee Replacement in India
The scenario of knee replacement in India is very bright because of the quality of the healthcare providers and the cost-saving in the procedures. Advancement in technology also makes India stand out among all the countries contributing to global health. This article will help you in understanding the anatomy of your knee and about some of the causes that making knee replacement surgery or physical therapy the only solutions for treatment of the knee.
Anatomy of a Knee
One of the largest and complex joints in the body. The knee joins the femur (femur) and tibia (shin bone). Knee Joint is made up of Fibula and Patella. Two very vital joints are Tendons and Ligaments. Tendons connects the knee bones to leg muscles that move the knee joint. Ligament functions by joining the knee bones and provide stability to the knee.
Three types of ligaments-
The Anterior Cruciate Ligament- It helps the femur to resist from sliding backward on the tibia or in some cases the tibia slides forward on the femur.
The Posterior Cruciate Ligament- It helps the femur from sliding forward on the tibia or in some cases helps the tibia from sliding backward on the femur.
The Medial and Lateral Collateral- These ligaments helps by preventing the femur from sliding side to side.
Understanding Different Types of Knee Conditions
1. Chondromalacia Patella-
· It is also known as Patellofemoral Syndrome.
· Feeling of irritation in the cartilage on the underside of the patella which causes knee pain
· Age Group that is mostly affected by Chondromalacia Patella- Youngsters.
2. Knee Osteoarthritis-
· The most common type of arthritis that affects the knees is known as Osteoarthritis.
· The most common causes are aging, stiffness, swelling and wear and tear of the cartilage.
· Symptoms of Knee Osteoarthritis include- stiffness, pain, swelling and lot of discomfort in the movement.
3. Knee Effusion-
· Building of a fluid inside the knee which causes inflammation.
· Knee effusion can be caused by various form of arthritis or any injury may also lead to knee effusion.
4. Meniscal Tear-
· When the cartilage that functions as a cushion for the knee get damaged.
· It mostly occurs with the twisting of the knee.
· The larger the tear may lead to knee to get locked.
5. Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL)-
· It is the onus of the ACL to maintain the stability of the knee.
· An ACL tear mostly results in knee giving up and surgical treatment follows.
6. Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL)-
· It causes pain, swelling and knee instability.
· It is a less common than ACL tears.
· For the candidates suffering from Posterior Cruciate Ligament physical therapy is the best option.
7. Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL)-
· It is a tear or strain.
· It may cause pain or instability in the movement.
8. Patellar Subluxation-
· The sliding of the knee cap which lead to the dislocation of the thigh bone during the activity.
· It leads to pain in the knee cap.
9. Rheumatoid Arthritis
· It is an autoimmune condition.
· It can cause arthritis in any joint including the knees.
· If not treated in time the rheumatoid arthritis may lead to permanent damage in the joint.
10. Septic Arthritis-
· It is an infection that is caused by bacteria, fungus or virus inside the knee.
· It is a severe condition that gets worse due to delay in the treatment procedures.
Created on Mar 27th 2018 08:32. Viewed 197 times.