Gather Information About The Pyramids Of Giza Before Setting Out On An Egypt Tourby Janny Morag Travel Guider
Egypt’s pyramids are one of the ancient Wonders of the World. You will do injustice to them if you see them up close without knowing their history and the intricate facts that revolve around them. Unfurl the mysteries of the Great Pyramids of Giza here.
Everyone knows that the Pyramids of Giza are one of those ancient Wonders of the World that are still standing. The architectural achievement earned by the long lost Egyptian civilization is indeed overwhelming. Their prowess and knowledge allowed them to build constructions that stood the test of time. The fact that these pyramids still stand is a record in itself. If you are preparing for a trip to Egypt, then you must gather as much knowledge about these constructions as possible. Knowing the unknown makes the tour all the more enjoyable. Besides, a trip to Egypt is primarily going to be an educative one. Hence, it is sensible to avoid visiting like a layman, especially if Egypt has always been on your bucket list.
1. Flat tops: You generally associate pyramids with symmetrical triangles that have a pointed top. However, you will notice on your Egypt tour that all constructions don’t adhere to that structural norm. The Step Pyramid of Djoser was the first one erected by the ancient Egyptians. It had a flat top with steps that could take you up. The pyramid consisted of six layers and went 3.5 miles underground. Today, it is on the verge of collapsing.
2. There were more: The ancient Egyptians erected the pyramids for religious reasons. That is why they built other structures apart from them. Temples, tombs, and chapels surrounded the pyramids. These constructions aided the dead to reach the afterlife. Before you head out for an Egypt Vacation, you have to know that the ancient Egyptians brought the corpses by boats down the Nile to the temples near the pyramids. There, they mummified the bodies.
3. Sparkling structures: The pyramids may look dull today, but they weren’t so in the past. In reality, they glittered like diamonds when sunlight fell upon them. After all, the builders applied polished limestone on them that made them shine. These stones reflected the sunlight just like a mirror. As a result, anyone could spot these triangular structures from almost anywhere in Egypt. An earthquake in the fourteenth century converted most of the stones into dust.
4. Air-conditioning systems: You will probably say that air-conditioners didn’t exist during the days of the Pharaohs. However, the engineers back then managed to keep the internal temperature of the Great Pyramid fixed at 68 degrees Fahrenheit. Of course, it is true only for the King’s chamber, but this ingenuity of the ancient Egyptians still baffles the scientists of today.
5. The mystery remains: Yes, it is quite mysterious as to how the ancient Egyptians managed to erect those pyramids. Some time ago, scientists couldn’t help but believe that extraterrestrial beings helped the Egyptians in this task. Today, however, that theory is invalid. Another far more acceptable assumption is that they used ramps on the inside of the pyramids to haul those blocks to the top. They even affixed external ramps to help move the large blocks.
Egypt is one of those destinations where mysteries lurk in almost every corner. For instance, the Great Pyramid of Khufu is a modern marvel in every sense. A part of it rests in the sheer weight of this gigantic monument. The weight of the structure is around 5,750,000 tons. It comprises over 2.3 million stone blocks and each of them weighs around 2.5 tons. Knowing all these unique facts makes a trip to Egypt all the more interesting. It provides food for thought.
Created on Jan 8th 2020 05:26. Viewed 81 times.