Causes of Infertility in Men and Womenby Shivani Sachdev Founder & Director
Infertility in men and women is said to happen when even after one year of unprotected intercourse, they are unable to conceive a child. If a person is unable to conceive a child for so long, it does not necessarily mean that he or she is sterile or that he or she will never be able to have a child. A person with fertility problems can conceive a child with some medical help. But what causes infertility in men and women?
Dr. Shivani Sachdev Gour, an infertility Specialist has provided us with the causes of infertility among men and women which are mentioned below.
The main causes of infertility in Men:
- Low Sperm Count - If the released semen has no or very less amount of sperm into it, the chances of conceiving a child becomes very low. Your sperm count is low if you have lesser than 39 million sperms per ejaculation. This is one of the major causes of infertility among the men.
- Blocked sperm Ducts - The sperms are produced in the testicles and then gets mixed with the semen after being transported by delicate tubes. If the sperm ducts are blocked, then no sperm will get released and hence the semen will have no sperm in it.
- Varicocele- When the veins inside the male scrotum get swelled and enlarged; this condition is known as Varicocele. Varicocele can cause low sperm production and also the sperm quality decreases, hence causing infertility.
- Prostatectomy - If the prostate gland has been surgically removed, it may cause many side effects like Infertility and impotence.
- Alcohol/Drugs use - The excessive consumption of alcohol and drugs over a long period of time can cause a decrease in the sperm count, which eventually leads to infertility.
The main causes of infertility in Women:
- Uterine abnormalities or Uterus Problems - A tumor or cyst in the uterus and then their surgical removal can block the fallopian tube, hence blocking the entrance of the sperms into the uterus. Also, it may interfere with the implantation of the sperm and sometimes it can even cause miscarriage.
- Ovulation disorders - It is important for a woman to ovulate in order to conceive a child. The release of the eggs from the ovaries is called as Ovulation. Ovulation disorder is one of the main reasons for the infertility issues in women. It includes infrequent ovulation, polycystic ovary syndrome, hypothalamic dysfunction etc.
- Damage to the fallopian tubes - If the fallopian tube is either damaged or blocked, it can stop the sperm from reaching into the uterus, hence causing infertility. The fallopian tube damage or blockage can be caused by many reasons. Some of them are the infection in the uterus and the fallopian tubes, pelvic tuberculosis and previous surgeries in the pelvic region.
- Endometriosis - when bits of tissues known as endometrium that makes up the uterus lining, start growing in other locations. This tissue growth and then the removal of it that is often done by surgery can cause a scar or blockage of the fallopian tube. This is another major cause of female infertility.
- Alcohol/Drugs use - Excessive Alcohol and drugs usage may affect the developing fetus and sometimes even cause miscarriage. If you have been an alcoholic or take drugs for a long period of time, it may result in the increase in infertility.
So these were the few causes of infertility in men and women. Infertility can be cured with correct medical treatment. The IVF treatment cures infertility and specialists like Dr Shivani Sachdev Gour, are more than ready to help you so that you too can enjoy the blessing of parenthood very soon.
Created on Nov 18th 2018 23:41. Viewed 102 times.