Search Engine Optimization - Making Your Website 'Search Engine' Friendlyby Neno Crvelin SMO and SEM
If you're anything like me, you've probably created a brand new website, Submitted it to a few search engines and hoped that people would mysteriously show up at your site and buy whatever it is you were selling.
After a couple of weeks go by and only a few stray people show up at your website, you decide to try and "optimize" your website around your main keyword in hopes that you just might rank well in 1 of the millions of search engines. Another couple of weeks go by and still no luck.
At this point you probably give up and decide to either build another website around a different target market or just lose all hope and quit. Well, news flash, as you've probably figured out by now, this is not the way to go about doing things.
The most important thing to keep in your mind when you are optimizing for search engines is what your end goal is. In case you are not sure what your goal is, let me state is here nice and clearly. Your goal is to have your page number one in the search engines. It might sound obvious to you to say this but the fact is that many people get caught up in the logistics of search engine optimization (or SEO) and forget what the ultimate goal is. There are several SEO tips and tricks that come in handy. The following list will simply refer to them as SEO tips but think of them as both SEO tips and SEO tricks.
1. Be clear on what you are selling and focus on that phrase. If you have several key phrases, chose the one that is most important to have spotlighted and focus on that phrase.
2. If you have several phrases you want optimized, then build a single individual web page devoted to each phrase. While you could put all your special key phrases on a single page, it dilutes the optimization effect if you have several key phrases in one article.
3. The phrase that you focus on should be something that someone is apt to type into the search engine but is also needs to be something that is discussed on your web page. Nothing annoys people more than searching for something and getting a result and finding that the page has nothing at all on it about their search term.
4. Speaking of the phrase that people might type into the search engine, it is a good idea to have a phrase not a word as your SEO hook. What I mean here is that don?t have gardening as a key word/phrase. It is far too general. Even organic gardening is too general. Organic vegetable gardening is better. Organic root vegetable gardening is more focused. If your key phrase is three to five words long you can have a more targeted niche.
5. Once you have your key phrase, use that phrase in your pages title. Now this is a SEO trick that has been overdone at least in Googles eyes. Other search engines like the phrase as the title but Google seems to be suspicious of phrases that have been over-optimized. The way around this, if you want Googles attention is to make the title twice as long as the keyword phrase. For instance organic root vegetable gardening could be called beginners guide to organic root vegetable gardening.
Created on Jun 30th 2010 19:08. Viewed 1,046 times.