What are the Roles of a Paediatric Nurse?by Tyler P. A Passionate Blogger - Entertainment
A paediatric nurse provides medical and health care for children from birth to their late teens. Unlike other nursing jobs, paediatric nursing requires nurses to work closely with the children’s family to provide expert care and address their concerns, problems, fears, and options. Depending on your work setting, your role as a paediatric nurse will be defined.
Before you find agency nurse paediatric jobs, it is essential to know what exactly will be your job role. It can be anything from working at a children’s hospital to a doctor’s office, a surgical centre, clinic, or any other healthcare setting in the UK.
If you are an aspiring paediatric nurse looking for work with a nursing agency, this post will help you understand your role as a paediatric nurse so that you can provide superior care to your young patients.
What does a paediatric nurse do?
As a paediatric nurse, you will serve as an advocate for children’s health, educate them and their families regarding preventive care, provide them access to the treatment required, and perform all the duties that are generally associated with those of a paediatrician. When you Find Agency Scrub Nurse Jobs, you will see descriptions for each particular nursing job. Based on the description provided, you will have to evaluate yourself.
Children require special care as their bodies are in a constant state of growth and change. This means that children have different reactions to medications, diseases, and injuries. So, they need healthcare professionals who specialise in treating young patients.
As a paediatric nurse, your responsibilities include educating caregivers and patients about the proven methods for safeguarding a child’s health, as well as general care. You can also develop individual health plans for home care for families with children who are special or have special needs, such as paralysis or diabetes.
On the other hand, when you work as an agency nurse in the UK, you will have the option to explore different settings in child care. Your day-to-day responsibilities as a child care provider can range from:
● Administering vaccinations
● Establishing treatment plans
● Prescribing medication
● Interpreting and ordering lab and diagnostic tests
● Treating illness
● Performing physical examinations
● Recording comprehensive health histories
● Promoting proven practices and healthy habits for preventive care
● Evaluating signs and symptoms of abuse
On the whole, your role as a paediatric nurse may vary from one healthcare institution to others, such as:
● You should provide curative, promotive, preventive, and rehabilitative care to children at all levels of health services. If you work at a hospital, your responsibilities include ensuring safety, bathing, feeding, providing comfort, etc.
● If you work as a collaborator or coordinator, you will need to maintain good interpersonal communication with children, their families, and the healthcare teams involved in providing care.
● As a nurse advocate, you will have to safeguard children’s rights, to assist and provide the best healthcare from the health team. A paediatric nurse will act as a representative for the children and their families.
● Being a paediatric nurse, your goal will be to teach and educate children and their families. For, you will have to boast certain characteristics, or the 4 Cs - communication, competence, confidence, and Caring and empathy.
● You may also have to work as a paediatric consultant where you will guide parents or guardians for the promotion and maintenance of the child’s health. This includes providing guidance for accident prevention and feeding practices.
● In some instances, you may also have to work as a case manager where you will have to organise care, evaluate and monitor patient treatment for a successful outcome. A paediatric nurse acts as a case manager in paediatric departments in community, clinics, or hospital.
So, it takes a lot of work apart from your qualifications and degree to become a paediatric nurse.
Created on Sep 19th 2020 08:47. Viewed 148 times.