Upsides and Downsides of Slate Stone Flooringby Lisa C. Marketing Writer
Slate is put among the hardest natural stones in the construction industry. It is a dark and durable stone that adds strength and an offbeat glamor to your indoor and outdoor spaces.
But not every homeowner seems to be a fan of slate stone tiles. Evidently there are some downsides of this stone that distract people from investing in it.
This blog talks about some of the upsides and downsides of slate stone tile flooring with an aim to help you decide if it would be the right choice of material for your unique project –
Upsides of Slate Stone Tile Flooring –
- Slate is a versatile natural stone, which you can use the way you want. You can use slate for flooring, walling, countertop, backsplash, accent wall, pavement, yard wall, patio flooring and walling, and driveway. Though, for driveway, you will need to use slate stone blocks.
- It is a naturally water-resistant material and it makes an ideal choice for bathroom, kitchen, laundry, and sunroom flooring.
- Slate does not release harmful gases and VOCs and is safe for your and your loved ones’ health and wellbeing.
- Slate is easy to clean and maintain. In addition, the stone does not catch stains due to its dense composition.
Downsides of Slate Stone Tile Flooring –
- Slate is a dense and heavy material. If you are planning a DIY installation, you will need an assistant to work with you on the project.
- Since heavy, slate tiles should be cut with a professional tool only. You cannot use a handheld cutter to achieve smooth and fine edges.
- Slate is an affordable natural stone. But it is not an affordable flooring material. At an average, slate stone tile floor installation will cost you somewhere between $8 and $20 per sq. ft. That said, it makes an expensive choice over ceramic, carpet, and vinyl flooring.
- Slate flooring feels cold when you stand or walk barefoot on it. This is not the case with carpet and vinyl flooring.
There you have it. Now, I hope, you can decide if this stone would be a good choice for flooring in your home.
Created on Jun 17th 2022 09:12. Viewed 75 times.