Top 10 Things to Know Before Buying Aluminum Windowsby Black Bow Chauffeur Content Writer
When it comes to our kit-of-parts for a residential project, one of the most important components is the aluminum window package. We use aluminum windows for a bunch of reasons: they are highly functional, maintenance free, and complement the clean lines of modern design. They are more expensive than vinyl (thumbs-down), but are much more cost effective than wood or steel windows. Some aluminum window packages also meet new, stringent energy codes in Washington State. For all these reasons, we have been using Grants series fixed, position and awning windows for many years. As far as finishes, we prefer clear anodized aluminum; Bronze anodized aluminum also has a good feel under the right conditions. These profiles and finishes also do a great job of matching other aluminum components that we specify, like garage doors, sliding doors and occupancy doors. While these decisions and specifications produce a successful window package, there are a number of additional considerations that lead to a successful end result. Here are our top 10:
1. Soundproof door & Window glasses are more energy efficient than aluminum frames; Therefore the more vertical and horizontal breaks a window is, the less energy efficient it is. We believe that the potential energy loss through the frame is more than offset by durability, low maintenance, and clean aesthetics.
2. Use a combination of double and triple pane windows to complete the energy code (at least in Washington State, where the code is stricter). We use triple pane windows over operable windows where the aluminum bridge's thermal bridge is the largest (refer to item # 1). Keep in mind that the triple pan window has a subtle difference in tint and the double pan window is clear, so use the triple pan judiciously.
3. Use a Kerf wood liner installed before the cladding, creating a straight, durable and crisp finish to reduce the appearance of the trim, as well as to see through the windows instead of the window frame and associated trim.
4. Leave a heavy 1/16 gap between the internal wood liner and the aluminum frame, as thermally broken aluminum frames experience differences even due to humidity and temperature. We have found that a deliberate line / gap is a maintenance-free detail, which may crack or skew at the end.
5. Double-check the external alignment as applicable. Door heads, lines of other features, siding brakes, etc., as well as lines once manufactured for flashing and siding offset, are factored in when finished.Equally (perhaps more) important, check for internal alignment and mullion breaks. For example, ensure that all cabinets and other finishing materials are hitting any specific window lines with which they are intended to align. Also, double check all the mullions sitting on the floor to make sure they are not in a line of sight (sitting on the couch, etc.).
6. Use canopy windows where possible (hinge at the top, opening at the bottom). Here in the northwest, we have the possibility of continuous rain, and awnings may remain partially open regardless of outdoor conditions.
7. Use roto-style hardware for operational windows where screens are desired. We like to exclude windows and all, but once you put the screen in the interior of the window, a little doggy door detail is terrible for reaching the window. Much better is to simply handle the roto.
8. Intentionally align the bottom of the windows at the top of the inner base for modern aesthetics. This is a great way to provide floor-to-ceiling windows and maintain continuity of interior details
9. If the windows become too large, glazing will have to be installed in the window frames on the site. With marlin, more than 40 sf for the triple pane and 50 sf for the double pane are to be assembled in the field. This is due to weight and manageability. Site glazing is usually an additional charge, but for large expanses of glass for light and / or viewing, the reduction is completely worth it.
10. Build relationships with your window manufacturers and local distributors. We have also entered a slot for pre-ordering and then validating for a reasonably fast window package return; And, we have also given feedback about quality control and maintenance issues. Ideally, this type of relationship makes projects better and everyone's life is smooth. LIXIL india pvt ltd feel loyal to a product line that has served our customers well, and we strive to see the value of providing better service to our vendors. The rising tide lifts all boats (yet again).
Tostem India is a brand celebrated for its aluminum sash windows, entrance doors, and other building materials in many countries around the globe.
Created on Jan 10th 2021 13:31. Viewed 120 times.
No comment, be the first to comment.