National Rail Museum, Delhi-Must Visit Place For Train Buffsby Prachi J. The Pride Group of Hotels
Although plans for a national museum to document the rich history of the Indian railways had been in plan since 1962, it took a long time for the site to be built. The National Rail Museum in Delhi was inaugurated in 1977 and has been a major attraction in the capital. Tourism in Delhi attracts many tourists who can easily find accommodation at hotels in Aerocity Delhi. Here are a few reasons this museum is a must visit:
- Great outdoor gallery: Designed to emulate a railway yard, the huge outdoor gallery alone makes it worthwhile to visit this museum. It has a range of carriages, wagons, armoured trains and railway cars that have been maintained to perfection. These life-size exhibits are truly astonishing with some of them being well over a century old.
- Rides and simulators: One can enjoy the Toy Train ride that covers the expansive outdoor gallery and the Patiala State Monorail is a popular ride that only operates on Sundays. There are simulators for diesel and steam engines as well as a virtual 3D coach ride. This has been part of the modernization drive undertaken by this great rail museum in recent years. Besides a great website, the museum also has popular social media profiles.
- Fabulous collection: The museum has a stunning collection that includes photographs, artefacts, documents and train models which are a testament to the colourful 160 years of the railways. Some of the static and working models are truly a sight to behold and attract train buffs from all over the country. Book in advance if you want to stay in hotels in Delhi near airport to ensure a pleasant stay.
- Exhibits: Due to the rare and extensive nature of the exhibits, the museum deserves a special mention. It has exhibits from all over the globe with the most popular being the Fairy Queen – the oldest working steam train. The museum also has the one of a kind Morris Fire Engine which runs on rubber tyres.
- Important information: This museum is located in Chanakyapuri in New Delhi and remains open from Tuesday through Sunday. A dynamic ticket pricing system has tickets costing 50/adult and 10/child on weekdays. However, on weekdays and holidays, the price is hiked to 100/adult and 20/child. Visiting this museum helps you to learn a lot about the railways and you also get to keep exciting souvenirs of all types such as posters, postcards, books and even train models.
The National Rail Museum plays an important role in documenting the past of our railways which has played a vital role in the building and growth of this nation. The location is a must visit for rail enthusiasts and history aficionados alike.
Created on Dec 1st 2018 00:53. Viewed 262 times.