Importance of AS9100: Quality Management System Certification for Aerospaceby Isabel Blamey Professional writer
This article is going to explain the key certification for a quality management system (QMS) in the aerospace industry. AS9100 certification is important for aerospace manufacturers.
Aerospace manufacturing businesses must validate their quality management system (QMS) to ensure that the products, parts, or components delivered to the aviation and space organizations are meeting the highest quality and safety standard. AS9100 certification is the primary and significant certification for QMS in the aerospace sector which helps to demonstrate their competency in producing products that meet the customer’s needs and the regulations of the aviation and space industry. Being the international standard for quality management, AS9100 must be a priority for manufacturers and suppliers. It assures their ability to continuously deliver safe and quality products that will increase customer satisfaction and ensure growth in the market demand.
The following section will provide a clearer picture of the requirements and benefits of certification.
Requirements of the AS9100 Certification
These are the core requirements that an aerospace manufacturing unit must meet to ensure AS9100 certification.
- Just like ISO 13485 for medical device manufacturing, TL 9000 certification for telecom organizations, or ISO 20000 certification for the IT service sector, AS9100 certification works for quality management in the aviation and space sector. Aerospace organizations need to commit to increasing customer satisfaction with the implementation of an effective QMS. This QMS will aim to continually improve the quality of products and ensure zero operational risks to the customary and regulatory requirements of the industry.
- AS9100 is based on the ISO 9001 QMS standard meant for general businesses, therefore, an aerospace manufacturer should fulfill the basic ISO 9001 requirements while implementing their QMS. Compliance with ISO 9001’s regulations will make the manufacturer feel confident that they are a step ahead in getting AS9100 certified.
- Product safety is the supreme concern for aviation and space products. Thus, AS9100 calls for intricate requirements to address the safety concerns of the products or equipment during their entire lifecycle.
- The standard also specifies the requirements for mitigating the chances of counterfeit parts in the aerospace supply chain. The manufacturers should emphasize meeting the counterfeit regulatory practices in their QMS.
- The aerospace industry operates as a network of supply chains. A manufacturer procures heavy raw materials, equipment, parts, or components from different suppliers to produce the end products. Thus, the AS9100 standard is a great means of quality management within the supply chain and improves satisfaction from the intermediate products. Most aerospace manufacturers require certification to ensure quality commitment from the suppliers.
Benefits of Acquiring AS9100 for Aerospace
While abiding with the requirements of the specific QMS standard, the aerospace manufacturers are inevitably benefitted. Some key perks of certification are-
- Global recognition due to the achievement of an international certification,
- Credibility as a reputed supplier,
- Accreditation with AS9100 standard gives access to prominent OEMs (original equipment manufacturers) in the global aerospace industry,
- Improvement in the confidence of the stakeholders, including customers, employees, suppliers, and distributors,
- Delivering products/parts that claim to meet quality regulations will raise the satisfaction of clients (aviation and space agencies),
- Certification catches the attention of many international vendors, who seek procurement dealings with a certified, credible manufacturer,
- Continual improvement in the production process, supply chain, and operational efficiencies will result in a reduction of costs to the manufacturer.
These are the benefits gained by aerospace businesses with AS9100 certification, however, achieving it is another story! Despite the often complex process it involves, a manufacturer can achieve it with consultation and assistance from aerospace quality assurance experts. From formulating a competent QMS and meeting all the requirements of AS9100 to maintaining the certification, they will assist in every aspect.
The author is an experienced AS9100 certification consultant who helps organizations in the aviation and space field with valuable guidance for AS9100 certification. He can also help with other certifications, such as ISO 20000 certification or ISO 13485 certification, which are specific to a particular industry.
Business Name: Compliancehelp Consulting, LLC
Email Id: email@example.com
Phone No: 877 238 5855
Created on Nov 2nd 2020 02:41. Viewed 88 times.