How to Prove the Right of Adobe in the UK?

by immigration 4me immigration - Landing Page Design,

The Right of Abode allows the holder of this right to live in the UK and work there without any visa restriction. This is a type of indefinite leave to remain (ILR). Some of the other benefits of this kind of leave to enter include:

·       The person exercising this right doesn’t need any type of visa to enter the UK

·       The holder of this right can live in the UK for an unlimited period


In fact, this right is already availed by all the British citizens, which is awarded either by birth or through naturalization procedure. In addition, some of the Commonwealth citizens can also exercise the Right of Abode and immigration solicitors UK.

However, before seeking this right, you have to prove that you are a British citizen or British residence who can avail this right. For this purpose, you need to provide your passport, showing that you have one of the above-mentioned circumstances. If you don’t have any of these situations, you have to apply for the ‘certificate of entitlement’.


Note: The person living under this right will enjoy the benefits of this right until 30 June 2021, or 31 December 2020. This is so, as when the UK decides to leave the EU without any deal, the person living in the UK under this right will have to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme with a view to reside in the UK.

How You Get the Right of Abode

You can enjoy the right of abode in the UK if your parents were British Citizens or if you were married to someone who has this right.

You can avail this right if your parents had been living in the UK under the following circumstance:

·       If both or one of your parents were born citizens of the United Kingdom

·       They were living in the UK or its colonies when your parents adopted you

·       In addition, you can avail this right if you were Commonwealth citizen on 31 December 1982

·       You continued to be the Commonwealth citizen and your status was not interrupted even  temporarily after you gained it

If you are married to a British Citizen, you can also seek the Right of Abode. However, Only a female Commonwealth citizen can get this right if she is married to a British Citizen or someone with a right of abode.

In addition, you need to prove that:

·       You have been married to a person with the right of abode and the date of marriage shouldn’t go beyond 1 January 1983

·       You need to prove that during the marriage you didn’t lose your Commonwealth citizenship, not for even temporary phase.  

Inability to Seek the Right of Abode through Marriage

In fact, you are not entitled to get this right if the person to whom you were married had another wife who is still alive. Such a wife must have the following status.

·       She owns a certificate of entitlement, which makes her eligible to avail the permission to enter the UK or seek the right of abode due to her marriage to a British Citizen

·       She is currently living in the UK or has been there after the marriage

About immigration 4me Advanced   immigration - Landing Page Design,

89 connections, 2 recommendations, 390 honor points.
Joined APSense since, August 16th, 2017, From Manchester, United Kingdom.

Created on May 9th 2019 14:05. Viewed 150 times.


Ritika Basu Innovator  Sr. Digital Marketing analyst
Write a Guest post and get backlinks on
Jun 27th 2019 15:13   
Please sign in before you comment.