How to Change Google Maps Voice on iPhone and Androidby John Martin Engineer
Google Maps is a handy application that guides the direction and travel distance in case you’re not aware of the same. This was introduced in 2004 and acquired by Google which converted into an application.
Google Maps use the idea of helping out with locations is through satellites which has a vast coverage and can take you to any place you search for, street locations, it can also lead you about real time traffic, etc.
There were two features of Google map which were introduced but then had to be taken down due to concern about privacy features. These features were ‘Google Latitude,’ which could share physical locations of the people, and ‘Google Map Marker,’ which helped fixing the locations manually.
It has a default voice engine that directs regarding the same. Voice engine has various accents and languages which you can customize according to your preference.
Customizing Voice on Android Phones
Android phones have a built-in voice engine and to change the voice and language of the directions and travel alerts, follow the step below:
- Open your Google maps application.
- Tap on the icon present on the search bar on the right side of the screen.
- Google Maps menu will pop-up. Tap the ‘Settings’ option.
- Scroll down the screen to find the ‘Navigation settings’ option and tap on the same.
- The ‘Navigation settings’ lets you change the voice played to you. To do the same, select ‘Voice selection.’
- This will bring up a menu with different voices based on regions or accents. For example, ‘English US’ and ‘English UK’ are two distinct voices with different accents. You may choose according to your comfort.
- Tap on any of the voices you want to play for you next time when you search for a direction or location.
Customizing Voice on an iPhone
Unlike Android phones, iPhone doesn’t have a built-in feature; in fact, it depends upon settings provided by iOS.
To change the voice and language of the directions and travel alerts, follow the step below:
- Open the ‘Settings’ option from the ‘Home Screen’ and tap on ‘General.’
- To change the language settings of your device, click on ‘Language and Region.’
- A list of languages will appear. Tap on the language, which is preferable to you.
- Click on the ‘Done’ button to make the changes to your voice engine.
- A ‘Change-to’ option will appear for re-confirmation.
Following these steps will automatically change the settings of your Google Maps.
Created on Jun 17th 2020 06:19. Viewed 66 times.