HOW TO ADD & MANAGE USER ACCOUNTS IN MICROSOFT WINDOWS 8by John Jackson Technology
Microsoft Windows 8 is the only Windows operating system that is different from all other versions. While Windows 10 matches a little with Windows 7, Windows 8 is exclusively unique. It has a different interface for apps, folders, even for the Start menu, which may be confusing at first. Likewise, creating and managing user accounts in Microsoft Windows 8 is a bit different than Windows 7. User accounts are a way to share a Windows PC with multiple users without disturbing one’s works and data. In the older versions of Microsoft Windows, creating and managing user accounts were easy. But in Windows 8 things have changed a lot. Here is how to add and manage user accounts in Microsoft Windows 8.
Accessing the accounts section in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 is a little different. Here steps are given for both versions of the operating system.
1. You need first to call outopen the Charms bar. Take your mouse cursor to the lower left corner of the desktop and slide it upwards. This prompts the charms bar menu on the screen.
2. Now, click on ‘Settings Charm’ option on the menu.
3. Then select ‘Change PC Settings.’ This will take you to the settings of your system. The procedure will now change from here according to the version of your operating system.
4. For Windows 8 users: Follow these points if your computer is running on Windows 8 operating system.
• Click on ‘Users’ in the left panel of the PC settings windows.
• Move the mouse cursor in the right pane and scroll to the bottom to the ‘Other Users’ heading.
5. For Windows 8.1 users: Follow these points if your computer is running on Windows 8.1 operating system.
• Click on ‘Accounts’ in the left panel of the PC settings windows.
• Then click on ‘Other Accounts.’
6. Once you go to the Other Accounts section into settings of your Windows 8, select ‘Add a user.’
Now, the procedure of both Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 is the same from here. Follow the below instructions for adding, creating, and removing a Microsoft or local account.
How to add an existing Microsoft account in Windows 8 or 8.1
• If a user already has a Microsoft account, then you don’t need to sign up again on Microsoft, just enter the existing account’s email address into the given field and then click on ‘Next.’
• Now, you’ll be prompted to choose whether it is a child account. Choose the account type, and if it is a child’s account, then you can also customize settings, set up parental control, and more for the account. Set everything as you want and then click on ‘Finish.’
• Before logging in to the account, make sure to connect your computer to the internet. This will import the account settings and sync their apps.
How to add a local user account in Windows 8 or 8.1
If a new user wants to use your system, then you can set up a local account for them, adding a local account is simple as well, you don’t need to worry about creating a new Microsoft account, emails, and security information. Go ahead with the below steps to add a new user account in your computer.
1. Go to the ‘Add a user’ window in the PC settings. Follow the guidelines given above to access Account section, ignore this if you’re already there.
2. Now, select ‘Local account.’ Microsoft will display some information to change your mind to create and add a Microsoft account. If the information has changed your account, you can click on ‘Microsoft account.’
3. Provide the details for the new local account, including username, password, as well as a hint and click ‘Next.’
4. Now, select whether the account is for a child to turn on or off family safety.
5. Then click ‘Finish.’
Your newly created local account will be added to your Windows 8 or 8.1 computer. You can access and use with its password. If you no longer need an account and want to remove it from the computer, then select the account you don’t need from ‘Other Accounts’ in PC settings and hit ‘Remove.’
Isa Bella is an employee at a top email service provider company in the day and a technical writer at night. She is passionate about writing troubleshooting tips, beginner’s guides, news, and other articles on varied topics. She has written majorly on brother printer support and HP printer support etc.
Created on Jul 15th 2019 12:47. Viewed 352 times.