How Much Semen is Sufficient to Get Pregnant?by Shivani Sachdev Founder & Director
Fertility issues start with the degrading health of either egg or sperm. A successful pregnancy takes place when a sperm fertilizes a mature egg. Sperms are found in the semen ejaculated by a man during intercourse. The semen amount required for conceiving depends on the sperm count, shape, size, and orientation.
For male infertility treatments, reach out to Dr Vishal Dutt Gour – the best male infertility doctor in Delhi.
Semen Components and Characteristics of Sperm for Conceiving
The fluid released by the testicle during sexual activity is called semen. Sperms swim in this seminal fluid that contains nutrients such as citric acid, fructose, enzymes, phosphorylcholine, amino acids, zinc, and potassium. Sperms are living cells, containing genetic information, and the nutrients in the fluid are essential for supporting sperm life.
In a drop of semen, there can be millions of sperms, but all cannot help in fertilization. For conceiving, sperms in the semen have to travel through the cervix, uterus, and fallopian tube. Once sperms reach the uterus, the white blood cells fight against sperms and try to kill them. Only some healthy sperms survive in the process.
Healthy sperms can live in the uterus for several days and wait until a mature egg is produced in the female body. Sperm joins with an egg in the fallopian tube and penetrates to the nucleus of the egg to create an embryo.
Characteristics of sperm that help in conceiving.
- Sperm Count in Semen: Sperm volume must be high in semen, almost 40-100 sperms per ejaculation. However, only one sperm is enough to fertilize the egg in the fallopian tube and get pregnant. But sperms have to travel a long way to reach the fallopian tube. In this process, a lot of sperm loss and only a few sperms last.
- Motility: The ability of sperm to swim in semen is known as motility. Sperm has to reach the fallopian tube by traveling through the cervix and uterus.
- Morphology: Structure and shape are the characteristics of sperm that provide momentum to swim. It must be a perfectly oval head and long tail.
Amount of Semen needed for Conceiving
- Sperms per ejaculation range from 20 million to 200 million. Sperm counts in semen may vary based on the age or overall health of a man. The more volume of sperms in semen, the more chances to reach and survive in the uterus, and the more probability of getting pregnant. For semen analysis, visit at SCI IVF Hospital for the best male infertility doctor in Delhi.
- The semen analysis demonstrates the following sperm limits in semen for a successful pregnancy.
- Semen volume per ejaculation must be at least 2 ml and in every 1 ml of semen, 20 million sperms are required for fertility. Thus, there must be 40 million sperms per ejaculation for fertility.
- Minimum 30% of the sperms must be mature and developed.
- Minimum 75% of sperms must be alive and functional in the semen.
- Minimum 25% of sperms must swim with rapid forward movement while 50% must swim with sluggish moment to reach to the women’s vagina.
Created on Jul 19th 2021 03:20. Viewed 41 times.