Fix for Every Icon is Same on Desktop in Windows
by Jeniffer Leio Excutive
Microsoft Windows has evolved over time, but there are also some issues that have evolved with it. The users are complaining about a very strange phenomenon happening in their devices. It is quite hard to apprehend the fact that every icon on the desktop is looking the same. How is it even possible? You might be wondering about why this is happening. Well, these problems sometimes occur during the Default program use.
When we right-click on a file or an application and select Open With option from the menu, an Open With box appears on the screen. The box gives us some options of the installed program to choose in order to run the selected file. What makes it worse is the accidental selection of the program as a default one, which is not meant to run or perform the task. The thing that expands the problem is tick marking the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file option.
It is the biggest mistake that users commit at times. The default program chosen with Always use the selected program to open this kind of file option results to run everything in same file format. This is really frustrating to manage the situation like this where everything starts to open in the same format. But don’t worry as there is a solution which anyone can follow to resolve the problem.
Here is the fix for every icon is same on desktop
- First, open press Windows Key + R.
- It will open the Run program in Windows.
- Now, type exe in the Run search bar.
- Now, click Ok or press Enter.
- It will open Windows Registry.
- In the window, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
- Now, find Software and click to open.
- Navigate to Microsoft and click Windows.
- Again, search Current Version and click Explorer.
- Finally, click the FileExts
- Now you must see the list of extensions like .jpeg, .jar, etc.
- Since the problem is related to .Ink extension, hence find .Ink
- Under the extension folder, you will userchoice
- Select the folder and delete
- Now, Restart your computer immediately.
Your problem will be resolved by following the steps mentioned. The method is useful to troubleshoot the problem of the same icon on your desktop. Now, you can resume your work on the system.
Jeniffer Leio is a Microsoft Office expert and has been working in the technical industry since 2002. As a technical expert, Jeniffer Leio written technical blogs, manuals, white papers, and reviews for many websites such as office.com/setup.
Created on Sep 17th 2018 08:57. Viewed 162 times.