Essential Cleaning and Maintenance Tips for Your Birdhouses!!by Zaer Ltd Decor product seller
Are you planning to buy unique birdhouses online? Indeed, it is a very good idea to have a birdhouse in your garden, but, it’s equally important to clean out all the dirt and dust and keep the birdhouse clean and safe. Birders and regular feeders who are well-versed with this are taking essential steps to protect their bird families from disease and pests while making the birdhouses even more appealing for new nesting birds. However, if you are new to all this and don’t have any idea about what you can do to maintain your birdhouses then this blog is for you.
Here we will discuss about some of the effective ways by which you can clean your birdhouse.
So, to thoroughly clean a birdhouse, you may follow the given suggestions.
- First of all, open the birdhouse carefully and disassemble it for proper cleaning.
- Take out all the old nesting material and brush out faeces or any clumped matter. Make sure you dispose of these materials properly in a plastic bag so as to prevent the spreading of parasites or bacteria. Besides, the materials could also be composted if you need.
- Now make a weak bleach solution. For this, take one part chlorine bleach and mix it with nine parts of warm water. Scrub the birdhouse thoroughly with this solution and clean all the corners, drainage, entrance and the ventilation areas to eliminate all contamination and debris.
- Wash the birdhouse with clean water for a few minutes to take out the traces of the bleach solution so that there is no chemical left to affect the birds.
- Once you’ve washed the birdhouse, dry it thoroughly in sun for a few hours. Doing this will certainly break down the remaining chlorine and also ensure there are no mould or mildew inside.
- When the birdhouse is washed and completely dried, check the house for any protruding screws or nails, loose hinges, splinters or any other damage that can injure birds. Fix all the damages and hazards to keep the house safe.
- Evaluate the ventilation areas and holes and see if any additional holes are needed to give extra ventilation or drainage to enhance the usage of the house.
- Next, reassemble the birdhouse carefully and double-check all the screws, joints and hinges-make sure all these are tight.
So, these are a few helpful tips with the help of which you can thoroughly clean your birdhouses so the birds may nest there safely. By cleaning and maintaining a birdhouse properly, you will provide a happy and safe home for the backyard birds. Also, a clean house will attract more birds, and over time, a generation of new birds can be raised in your birdhouse. However, just be very careful while you are cleaning the house and ensure all the screws and hinges are tight and correctly placed.
Created on Feb 27th 2020 07:10. Viewed 263 times.