Career After Hotel Managementby Rohit Jain Content Writer
What to do after 12th standard is the most common question in the minds of all school grads. It is a very difficult time, some gets influenced by their peers and some by their family members, though one should always proceed with a career where they have interest.
“Love What You Do and Do What You Love”
Hotel Management has opened up new avenue to students. Now students rather than going for orthodox courses, can opt for skill based degree programmes in Hospitality, Aviation, Animation, Designing, etc. Such courses not only offer better employment opportunities but also imbibe skills in the students which are helpful in their living.
Hotel and Tourism industry holds a promising future for career seekers. A number of factors like growth of tourism both national and international, liberalization of trade have given boost to Hotel Industry.
India ranks at 7th position in the world in terms of travel and tourism contribution to GDP, report by Brand Equity Foundation. Around 11 million foreign tourists were recorded in year 2017 which is expected to increase the following years.
What does Hotel Industry constitute?
Broadly speaking Hotel Industry has following 6 Departments
1. Front Office- Front Office staff gives the first impression of the hotel. A guest has to get check in from Front Office and then also required to visit front office while checking out of the hotel. For all other assistance apart from House Keeping and Service, a guest has to request at front office desk only. Front office staff consists of assistant manager, lobby executive, supervisor, information assistant, receptionist, bell boy, etc. to perform their assigned jobs.
2. House Keeping- A housekeeper keeps the hotel, rooms,bar, restaurants clean and presentable to the guests. House Keeping staff includes Chief Executive House Keeper, Floor Supervisor, Room Attendants, Linen Supervisor, etc.
3. Food and Beverage Department- This department is divided into two segments, namely “Service” and “Kitchen”. FnB staff is responsible for preparation of food, presentation and then serving them to guest. Staff includes Executive Chef, Sous Chef, chef de partie, commi, Service Manager, Supervisor, waiter.
4. Accounting Department- The staff is responsible for all credit and debit transactions.
5. Engineering/ Maintenance Department- The department helps in smooth functioning of the hotel by ensuring that all the machinery is working appropriately. Regular and proper maintenance of the hotel building is also their responsibility.
6. Security Department – the staff ensures utmost safety to the guests, their belongings, and to the hotel itself.
What are the skills required in an Hotelier?
One must poses following skill set to become a successful hotelier:
· Excellent communication, interpersonal and good listening skills
· Ability to think and take quick decisions
· Ability to handle pressure
· Friendly and pleasing personality
· Honest, loyal towards both guest and hotel
· Hard work and dedication
After doing a 1 Year Diploma or 3 Years Degree in Hotel Management, one can easily find job in Hotels.
Created on Sep 22nd 2018 03:05. Viewed 436 times.