10 Things you must know about being an Interior Designerby Times and trends Academy Fashion,Interior Training Institute
Lately, with changes in the interior tastes, the demand for interior designers and interior designing courses has increased. Interior designers enjoy their share of popularity. But, there are a lot of facts that aren’t visible behind the glory. This blog will talk about 10 interesting things that you must be prepared with before being an interior designer.
The current dearth of interior designers in the Indian market refers to the fact that there is immense scope for interior designers who’ve pursued interior design course and have contributed some intriguing and innovative designs during the academics. This qualifies as the first fact, though we’ve got 10 more that you must know about being an interior designer.
Interior Designing Course Details
Before proceeding to know the facts, let us first take a look at some details of interior designing courses. Speaking of an interior designing course, say diploma, it would involve the study of design (part 1 and 2), arts and graphics, CAD 1, the theory of interior design, construction (part 1 and 2), and others depending on the college that offers it. The eligibility of interior designing diploma is 10+2 and the duration is 1 year.
10 Facts about being an Interior Designer
1. Interior Designer and not Decorator: Yes, there is a difference that one needs to know before being an interior designer. Interior decorator is associated with textures, color selection, etc. In fact, interior decoration is a sub-set of interior designer, which is a larger term involving augmentation of the overall environment of the space.
2. It’s more about the Customer’s Taste: You may be the most creative person around, but you cannot compel your creativity on the customer. It is more about the customer’s taste, his preferences, and the design that meets his expectations, more than something that satiates your creativity.
3. It’s a Business: Creativity is not the only aspect. The interior designing business requires an understanding of commercials, expenses, and other administrative and compliance aspects associated with it.
4. Going Beyond Designing: Besides designing, as an interior designer, you will have to deal with many other aspects such as furniture design, space designs, technical diagrams, material knowledge, etc.
5. Exploring Different Avenues: As an interior designer, you must also explore other avenues such as commercial spaces, corporate offices, art galleries, hotels, resorts, cafes, and many others.
6. Interior Designing Course: Some may argue that it is creativity that matters, and not education. However, that’s not completely true. An interior design course would acquaint you with the basics of interior designing, and help you build a strong base for a high-flying career.
7. Not a 9 to 5 Job: Remember, this is an offbeat career, and therefore the conventional 9-5 working doesn’t apply here. As a businessman, you would have your own working hours, and at times, may have to work late to meet the deadlines.
8. Building Name Takes Time: Name and identity are two things that take a lot of time, and consistent efforts to develop. Interior designers too, take time to gain feet in the ground, and therefore one must be patient.
9. Virtual Designers too are in Vogue: The advent of various virtual designing tools have given rise to a new pool of virtual interior designers. These designers can work from any part of the world. Nevertheless, in-person meetings and relationship building with the clients would still go a long way.
10. Countless Challenges: Clients have turned demanding. They demand the highest levels of customization and yet expect you to exhibit the highest levels of creativity. Some projects may turn successful, while some may go wrong. Yet, it is up to you how you learn from your mistakes and never repeat them in the future.
The interior designing business, in modern times, has turned more challenging than ever. With the ever-increasing and complex consumer demands, it is necessary that you strike the right balance between the creative, commercial and administrative aspect of your business.
Created on Jan 1st 2019 00:23. Viewed 205 times.