Why Pharmacy Errors Occur?by Pharmacy Error Lawyers Award Winning Pharmacy Pharmacy Lawyers
In any pharmacy errors can usually occur, but the situation gets worse when these errors lead to severe consequences, such as illness or even death of the patient. As a pharmacist you should know how to avoid these errors. In the article, we are going to talk about that only.
1. Why do pharmacy errors occur?
Although pharmacy errors should be avoided, but still sometimes they do take place. They include:
- Prescribing the wrong medicines
to a patient.
- The prescribed medicines are
right, but the dosage is incorrect.
- Not able to see the dangerous
complications related to any medicine.
- Not warning the patients
regarding the side effects of any medicine.
- Selling unsafe, defective or
People blindly trust the pharmacies and when these errors occur, the credibility of a pharmacist is questioned. So, why these error occur?
1. Pharmacists overworking: Usually the shift of a pharmacist is about 12 hours in a day and in one shift they fill about 300-450 prescriptions. If they work under pressure of filing as many prescriptions as possible, then it might lead to errors.
2. Not properly trained pharmacist: The time spent on the training and mentoring of the pharmacist is not enough sometimes and this is risky for the patient and pharmacy both. So, the training should never be overlooked.
3. Poor interaction between the doctors and the pharmacist: Sometimes, the doctors are too busy in checking in the patient that they completely forget about informing the pharmacist about any medicines that might cause issues.
4. Negligence in supervising the technicians at the pharmacy: The techs at the pharmacy are responsible for measuring the medicines, dispensing the medicines and labeling the bottles. If this work isn’t carried under strict supervision, then there is high probability of errors.
5. Overreliance on the automated system: Modern era is all about automation, but computer based prescriptions and automated refills might speed up the process but could lead to errors. Thus, it is better to recheck the prescription filled by the computer.
How to avoid pharmacy errors?
- Verifying the prescription
- Hiring sufficient staff
- Clarifying any unclear
information with the doctors
MProviding counselling to the patients
If you still want to know more, you can call the pharmacy error lawyers. They will brief you about the types of cases that they come across and how you can avoid such situation and keep your patients safe.
Created on May 24th 2018 12:23. Viewed 414 times.