What is Stem Cell Banking? Why we need to preserve Stem Cells?by Bhawna Aggarwal blogger
What is stem cell banking?
Stem cell banking is the facility that stores stem cells derived from the amniotic fluid in a safe environment and required whenever needed. For storing stem cell in a safe environment this method is called cryopreservation. Samples exposed to gradual freezing because it is important to keep the cell alive in this process. After that, it transfers to the storage tank of liquid nitrogen which is at -196ᵒC at temperature.
When babies are born, they come to this world with a superpower that protects them from various medical problems and provides a lifetime of good health and that power lies in the stem cells present in the umbilical cord blood. Cord blood cell is the process of safely preserving these lifesaving stem cells after childbirth which can protect your child from future diseases.
Researchers found that the umbilical cord blood tissue is the richest source of hematopoietic and mesenchymal stem cells which has the power to heal and renew damages tissues and organs in the body. If they can be preserved properly, stem cells have no expiration date and can be used anytime in the future as the need arises. Cord blood remains in the placenta and attached to umbilical cord after childbirth. Cord blood is collected because it contains stem cells which have the ability to regenerate in any kind of cell. Stem cells banking is a once in a lifetime opportunity and hence it has to be performed right after childbirth.
Why we preserve stem cells?
1) Umbilical cord blood is young and unexposed to an external environment. They are capable of regenerating and differentiating into different types of cells in the human body. They have potential to treat life threating diseases and disorders.
2) Cord blood cell is used to treat blood-related diseases like thalassemia, sickle cell anemia, leukemia, myeloma etc.
3) Stem cell storage is the lifesaver for the entire family.
4) Scientists and researchers are constantly working on the usage of stem cells for life threating diseases like spinal cord injury, heart diseases, liver injury etc. The diseases that considered being incurable today, soon it will be curable with theses magical cells.
5) An umbilical cord blood cell is genetically exclusive and unique and those who have a complex family history of Parkinson diseases, Alzheimer diseases, cerebral palsy, diabetes, asthma, arthritis chances of children inheriting them will be higher. These kinds of diseases can be cured by cord stem cells.
Baby’s stem cells will remain safe in the freezing chambers for decades and they can be retrieved anytime if required for a stem cell transplant. The sample will be released by the stem cell bank only on the request of transplant physician.
Stem cell banks collect stem cell storage fee for the child parents for the maintenance of the sample based on the choice of their storage plant.
Stem cell banking is a safe process that can help to protect your child’s future health for a lifetime.
“Give your children, the gift of good health which they deserve by banking their stem cells safe.”
Created on Apr 8th 2018 02:52. Viewed 288 times.