Warehouses: Types And Managementby Sagar Chauhan Digital Marketing Analyst
Warehouse is a piece of property with a huge building having open space for storing bulk goods. They are used by a variety of people like manufacturers, importers, exporters, wholesalers, transport businesses, customs, etc, for a variety of reasons personal, public etc. Since it requires a reasonably large area people prefer to buy them at the outskirts of the city, often located near the industrial area. It is a basic requirement for those who manufacture or trade mass product. In the modern warehouses, it is quite common to see a system of wide aisle pallet racking to store goods which can be loaded and unloaded using forklift trucks.
Types of warehouses:
• Retail Warehouses: these are more of a private warehouse owned and operated by channel suppliers and re-sellers and are used for their own distribution activity.
• Cool warehouses and cold storages: cold storages are basically preferred for agricultural products. These prevent the produce from the rotting, sprouting or insect damage. They also play a major role in stabilizing the market and also in the preservation of seasonal produce.
• Overseas Warehouses: as the name suggests, they are created for overseas trade.
• Automated Warehouses: with the advancements in the technology, many warehouses have automated capabilities, which include either machines or robots handling almost all the physical work.
The education and research departments are working towards the improved warehouse management. Warehouse management refers to the various processes related to maintaining and controlling a business' warehouse. There are various warehouse management software available too, for example NetSuite ERP. One must educate himself about the warehouse management.
Following are a few tips on warehouse management:
• One must identity the nature and need of their business and then build their strategy according to it. Recognizing your need is the first and crucial step.
• The stacking of the goods should be done in a structure, organized manner so to make the best use of the available space.
• You will require a team of people to organize, maintain the warehouse and also to keep a track of the incoming and outgoing goods.
• Every business warehouse has one or more products which are shipped out more often than others. It is therefore recommended to create a special stock area for these products.
• The cross docking technique works pretty well when it comes to managing the flow of goods.
With the rise in trade throughout the country and overseas, warehouses are quite common. There are many warehouses available for rent, especially at the outskirts of any city. Even the technology and transportation in this field has evolved quite a lot. There are many warehouses for rent outside an industrial area or an agricultural area. Warehouses for rent in Jaipur, Rajasthan, Haryana, Punjab and most of the northern India are reasonable. One must keep in mind to analyze the nature of the business, what suits it and what will to profitable, before buying or renting a warehouse.
Created on May 13th 2019 07:26. Viewed 201 times.
No comment, be the first to comment.