How To Split Large PST File Into Small Multiple Files?by Erica Wilson Software Engineer
In this blog post, I am going to share the easy and simplest solution to split large Outlook PST files into small multiple files. Split large PST files into small parts is the best way to resolve the problem of oversized file issue. Before going to the solution, we should know about the Outlook PST file. Let’s start.
PST file stands for Personal Storage Table which is an Outlook data file and it stores all the data from user's mail, contacts, messages, tasks, notes and much more. The Size of PST file is limited up to 20 GB in earlier version however the latest version of Outlook offers up to 50 GB.
Reasons To Split Large PST File Into Small Multiple Parts
There are many reasons to split large PST into multiple small PST files. Some of the common reasons are:
- An oversized PST file can cause the Outlook to work slowly or hang on a regular basis.
- When a PST file exceeds its allotted limit then the user not able to access or send and receive new email messages.
- To avoid the risk of data corruption which arises due to large or oversized PST files.
Manual Method To Split Oversized PST File
Method 1. Reduce Size of PST file Using Archive Feature
- Download, run and install MS Outlook and go to the File tab
- Click Info >> Tools >> Clean Up Old Items
- Select a Folder to archive, choose a date in Archive items older than box then click Browse button to save archive file at the desired location on your system.
- Now click OK button and split a PST file into a small file.
Method 2. Use Import/Export Option to Divide Large Size PST File
- Download, install and run MS Outlook.
- Now, open the ‘File’ option and click on ‘Account settings’.
- Then, choose from the 'Account Settings’ and opt for the ‘Data File’ option and click on ‘Add’ button.
- Open the new dialog box, which will appear on the screen.
- Rename the new PST file and select the desired location where you want to migrate the files.
- Now, go to the ‘File’ option and import the file.
- An ‘Import and Export Wizard’ option will appear on the screen after that, select the ‘Export’ option.
- Click on the ‘Next’ button.
- Now, click on ‘Finish’.
Limitations Of Manual Methods
As you know that it is a completely free solution but there are some limitations to divide large PST into small parts.
- Huge chances of data loss.
- Must have technical knowledge.
- No security and guaranty of data integrity.
Professional Software To Split Large Size of Outlook PST Into Small Multiple Files
To split PST file safely and securely you can try KDETools Outlook PST Splitter software which is a best and instant solution of this problem. It is one of the best choices of the users. This split PST tool offers four different options to split PST files by date, size, folder, and year. The tool does not make any change in the Metadata while splitting the Outlook files. By using this tool, you can also divide password protected and Archive PST files of any versions of MS Outlook. It is fully capable to split entire data of PST file such as emails, contacts, calendars, tasks, and other data items.
Splitting the PST files can be an intimidating task, however, by selecting the right tool, the user can split the PST files without facing any hassle. We suggest you avoid using the manual method and opt for a safe and secure tool to split the PST files.
Created on Jul 25th 2019 02:07. Viewed 94 times.