Windows 10 PC Won’t Complete the Formatting? Here are the Fixes
by James B. software
In this article, we will discuss the reasons behind the “Windows was unable to complete the format” error, along with the various practical ways to fix it. If you have a Windows 10 PC and are unable to format a USB drive because of this error, then read on and follow the fixes mentioned below.
Launch a Check Disk Scan
You should follow the steps provided below:
- Hold the Windows and E buttons simultaneously to launch the File Explorer.
- Thereafter, connect the flash drive to start scanning the USB port.
- You should select the ‘This PC’ icon over the desktop.
- Then select the flash drive and right-click on it to launch its menu.
- Go to the Properties option.
- You have to choose the option of Tools and click on OK.
- You will see a screen which says, ‘You don’t need to scan this drive.’
- You should start a manual scan by choosing the option of ‘Scan and repair drive.’
Format the USB Drive with Disk Management
You need to follow provided below:
- Open the Run prompt.
- After that, insert ‘diskmgmt.msc’ into it, and press the OK button.
- Go to the USB stick and right-click on it over the screen of Disk Management, then choose the Format button.
- You should click on the button of Yes.
- Later, you should choose a file system to format the flash storage.
- Hit the button of OK to start the format process.
- Navigate to the ‘New Simple Volume’ option.
- Now, format the USB drive using the ‘New Simple Volume Wizard.’
Format the Drive with Diskpart
Follow the steps given below.
- Access the Win + X menu.
- Then choose Command Prompt.
- In Command Prompt, insert ‘diskpart’ and hit the Return button.
- You should input ‘list disk’ into it and hit the Return key to launch a drives list.
- In the Diskpart screen, type ‘select disk n’ into it and hit the Enter button.
- However, change ‘n’ with the concrete disk number of the USB stick.
- You should input the ‘clean’ command in it and hit the Return button.
- Later, insert the ‘create partition primary’ command into the Diskpart.
- Now, type ‘format fs=ntfs quick’ then hit the Enter key to format the USB drive via NTFS.
These were some of the potential solutions for the Windows was unable to complete the formatting error.
Robert Hunt is a creative person who has been writing blogs and articles about cybersecurity. He writes about the latest updates regarding mcafee.com/activate and how it can improve the work experience of users. His articles have been published in many popular e-magazines, blogs and websites.
Source : Windows 10 PC Won’t Complete the Formatting? Here are the Fixes
Created on Sep 10th 2020 04:46. Viewed 75 times.