Why Many Renowned Schools in Kolkata are Introducing Experiential Learning?by BHS Mukundapur Team Best CBSE School in Kolkata
Many educationists see the future of education in experiential learning. Renowned schools in Kolkata adopt the best outcomes of R&D taking place in in the world of education. Experiential learning is not a new concept. Thousands of years back, famous educationist and philosopher Aristotle said, “For the things we’ve to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.” Before we move to discuss the topic, first, let’s know what do we mean by experiential learning.
Defining Experiential Learning
We call it learning by doing. It can be learning with the help of projects, role plays etc.
Let’s understand it with the help of an example.
Schools can take up real-life problems, frame them as projects, and allow students to choose their teams. How about transforming a classroom into the Indian parliament? For example, students can learn much on environment issues by participating in projects on how environmental laws are created in the parliament.
Teachers can distribute tasks among teams. Some groups can represent govt.bodies and some others can represent multiple interest groups like environmental advocacy groups, residents, businesses etc.
Experiential learning is a fun way of learning. We’ll now elaborately discuss the benefits of experiential learning.
The Benefits of Experiential Learning
● Faster learning: Learning by rote has never been an effective medium of learning. Learning by doing teaches students how to solve problems. Students learn how to critically think, analyse problems and make decisions.
● Effective learning: In this digital era, people’s attention span is gradually declining. Traditionally, teachers suggest students learn by rote and keep information in the brain at least till the time of exams. Knowledge gained through practically doing tasks remains in the brain without much effort.
● Optimise time: Students get the chance of practising what’s been taught, simultaneously. Experiential learning optimises study time. Also, it doesn’t leave a gap between theory and practice.
● Dramatic impact: Attributes like leadership, team spirit etc.are earned by practice. As said management guru Henry Mintzberg, “Leadership, like swimming, cannot be learned by reading about it.” Experiential learning helps students develop their personalities.
● Greater engagement: Experiential learning is heavily depended on tasks. To accomplish tasks successfully, participants involve in sub-tasks, engage with team members, own their responsibilities and fulfil them. Without even consciously knowing, students gain multiple qualities which add value to their lives.
● Wonderful returns: Compared to traditional learning methods, experiential learning is more fulfilling to emotions and feelings of students. The retention level is high. Investments and efforts put on experiential learning methods give good returns.
● Encourages personalised learning: Teaching, learning strategy and assessment are important phases of personalised learning. Experiential learning helps meet these requirements. Learning is not limited to classrooms. Participants can alter the time and pace of learning.
Experiential learning is gaining popularity. Admission counsellors are highlighting this latest teaching strategy. In fact, when parents compare CBSE schools in Kolkata for admission of their children, they should check if schools are implementing the latest teaching strategies or not. They should be completely sure that schools will prepare their children for the future.
Created on Apr 29th 2019 05:24. Viewed 354 times.