What are the methods to fix QuickBooks Won’t Open Company File issue?by John Trump QuickBooks ProAdvisor Expert
QuickBooks won’t open company file is one of the most common issues faced by QB users. In this scenario, QB file fails to open whenever you try to access it. In this blog, we will enlighten the reasons and symptoms of this problem. Further, we have highlighted the points to consider along with the steps to fix “QuickBooks won’t open company file” issue.
List of “QuickBooks Won't Open Company File” Error Messages
- “ -6000 series mistakes – for example -6189, -6144, -6123, or -6000” and these can be resolved with the Stellar Repair for QuickBooks Software.
- “C= messages like C=422 or C=343.”
- “Unrecoverable error messages.”
- “3371 which indicates that the QuickBooks installation is damaged.”
- QuickBooks Error -6073, -99001.
- QuickBooks Error -6073, -816.
Things to Remember
Before you begin the troubleshooting process, you should be fully sure that the issue you are facing is with the company file, instead of the program itself.
- Firstly, ensure that you are using the newest version of QuickBooks.
- While opening QuickBooks, you need to press and hold CTRL key simultaneously.
- If your program fails to open then there is a problem QB Desktop.
- Proceed further if the program is opening.
You must disable hosting for all other computers before proceeding:
- Navigate to File and then click on Utilities.
- Choose Stop Hosting option for multi-user access.
- Now you can continue further.
Why QuickBooks cannot open Company file
- “QuickBooks won’t open company file” issue occurs when you have damaged or corrupted company file.
- You are not following proper procedure to open certain file types.
- There are some issues with the reports.
- You are not using appropriate QuickBooks version to open files.
- Some other user has opened the same file on a shared network.
Symptoms of “QuickBooks Won’t Open Company File” Issue
- QuickBooks Desktop stops responding.
- Your computer hangs frequently.
- Incorrect installation of QB Desktop.
- Your system responds sluggishly to device inputs.
How to Resolve “QuickBooks Won’t Open Company File”?
Method 1: Open company file using QuickBooks Desktop
- The first step is to open File.
- Now, you need to click on Open or Restore Company.
- Choose the file type you want to open.
- Go to folder containing the file.
- After that, Open that file.
Method 2: Avoid QuickBooks Windows from opening automatically
- First of all, navigate to No Company Open window.
- Search your Company File.
- Now, press and hold ALT key from your keyboard.
- You must click on Open.
- Navigate to Edit menu and then click on Preferences.
- Choose Desktop View and choose the option Don’t save on desktop. Click Ok.
Method 3: Rename the .TLG and .ND file extensions
- The first step if to access your QB company file location.
- Make a right-click on transaction log file.
- Change the file name to OLD.qbw.TLG
- Now, you have to open the company file.
- QuickBooks will automatically make .TLG and .ND file extensions.
- Make sure that you don’t delete these files.
Method 4: Change the location of your company file
- Firstly, you need to make a folder in C: drive.
- Access your QB company file location.
- Now, choose the company file by pressing and holding CTRL key.
- Make a right-click on the file and select Copy.
- After that, go to the new folder and Paste the file.
Method 5: Close ‘QBW32.exe process’
- Make a right-click on Windows Taskbar & select the Start Task option.
- After that, you need to click on Processes Tab & then choose Image Name header to sort it alphabetically.
- Finally, search and choose ‘QBW32.EXE’. Click on End once you are done.
Although, we have mentioned the potential ways to solve “QuickBooks won’t open company file” problem. To seek technical assistance, you can call our experts at QuickBooks ProAdvisor Support Number 1-877-263-2742.
Created on Jul 11th 2019 02:24. Viewed 170 times.