What are Playground Buddies?by Austin Stanfel Building a Foundation for the Future
As the world evolves further, new additions become a part of our society frequently. One of such additions is playtime buddies. Schools and playgrounds now partake in the practice of appointing and allocating playground buddies to playgrounds, and this practice may have a few parents confused, they shouldn't be. A playground buddy is simply another student or child in the same playgroup as the children in the school or playground, who serves as a support system or guide to other children in the preschool playground. This position requires some level of training because it involves handling some unusual situations that may arise while the child is on duty. While the play buddies are students, they usually serve as authority figures on the playground with the other children coming to them with problems that may arise and also receiving advice, counseling and potential solutions to the issues reported. Some of the functions of a play buddy include:
● Serve as make-shift authority figures that can easily relate with both students, teachers and parents: Authority figures don't usually get along with kids, the play buddies help bridge this gap by being friends to the children and still being able to report to and relate with the authority figures to promote safety and harmony in the playground.
● Serve as general playmates to any child in need of one: Sometimes, some children are isolated and left alone by the other kids. In such a situation, the playground buddy acts as a friend to such children, by playing with them and inviting other children to assist as well, eliminating isolation and loneliness on the playground.
● Regulate playtime activities: Children can sometimes get lost in the moment during playtime, and some of their activities can get out of hand and be dangerous to themselves and other children on the playground. It is the job of the playground buddy to keep all playtime activities in check, for the general safety of everyone on the playground equipment.
● Solve minor playground problems: Conflict seems inevitable, regardless of geographic location or age groups. Even children have conflicts amongst themselves. In the event of such dispute arises, it is the duty of the playground buddy to put an end to it and to counsel all parties involved to ensure a lasting harmony.
● Alerts the authority figures where they cannot solve a problem: Since playground buddies are also kids, certain situations can arise where they are unable to resolve playground problems. In such a case, they contact the adult authority figures and draw their attention to the job so that they can help put an end to it.
With the above-listed functions, playground buddies are requirements in schools and on playgrounds. Many schools have already adopted the system, and many do so daily, this is in no small part thanks to the benefits they provide.
Some of which include:
● Advantages of a playground buddy
● Reduces or eliminates bullying on playgrounds
● Offers emotional support to children that need it
● Increases group participation
● Easily relates with other children
Created on Jun 8th 2020 08:53. Viewed 261 times.
No comment, be the first to comment.