The Basics of Having a Criminal Record Sealed

by Shishir Del R. Writer

Being convicted of a crime has very serious consequences and can take a toll on your reputation, family life, and future career opportunities. Life after a conviction can be difficult and many people may struggle to find work if background checks are a part of a potential employer's hiring process. In order to have the details of your criminal record protected from the eyes of employers, landlords and the general public, you need to have your record sealed. The first step in this process is deferred adjudication.


Deferred Adjudication


If you've been convicted of a crime, you may have the option of deferred adjudication. Deferred adjudication does not imply that you have been found guilty. In fact, deferred adjudication is not a final conviction at all, rather, a plea bargain between you and a Las Vegas Court of Law. To receive deferred adjudication, you must plea either guilty or no contest. It is important to realize, however, that deferred adjudication does not dismiss any charges and does not prevent your charge from appearing on your criminal record.




After you successfully complete your deferred adjudication assignment and a probation period, you are eligible to petition for an order of non-disclosure. Non-disclosure works to prevent law enforcement officials from releasing your criminal record to the general public. It also allows you to completely deny any occurrence of criminal activity if asked.


Non-disclosure prevents your record from being seen by the general public, however, law enforcement agencies will still have access to your information. Certain state agencies may also still access your record for professions that may require a license. You should also be aware that although your record has been sealed, the information found in your criminal record can be used against you in any future criminal proceedings.


Waiting Periods for Non-Disclosure Orders


Although you maybe eager to have your criminal record sealed, there is a waiting period for orders of non-disclosure. If you have been charged with a felony, your wait period will be 5 years. Individuals charged with misdemeanors are normally allowed to file a petition for non-disclosure as soon as their deferred adjudication period ends; however, there are certain misdemeanors that require an individual to wait 2 years.


Contact a Lawyer


If you have been convicted of a crime and are interested in having your criminal record sealed, contact a skilled non-disclosure lawyer Yampolsky & Margolis Attorneys at Law today. A licensed attorney will be able to evaluate your situation and provide you with the legal counsel needed to navigate the complicated legal system.

Sponsor Ads

About Shishir Del R. Innovator   Writer

12 connections, 2 recommendations, 92 honor points.
Joined APSense since, April 4th, 2017, From Los angeles, United States.

Created on Dec 19th 2020 12:12. Viewed 147 times.


No comment, be the first to comment.
Please sign in before you comment.