Seven Key Qualities That a Good Journalist Must Possessby Vaibhav Tripathi Financer Blogger
Journalism refers to the process of gathering, assessing, creating, and presenting the news and information to the audiences. The primary means of communication used to reach the general public is mass media. Most commonly used platforms for mass media are television, Internet, Newspapers, Magazines, etc, the content for these media is created by journalists who gather, assess, create and present the news and information to the masses. To be a good journalist, one must possess some key qualities, the most important seven key qualities of a good journalist are described below in brief.
· Courage - A good journalist must be courageous and bold enough to ask tough questions and dig deeper into an issue. Being a journalist, a person must keep their personal feelings aside to unleash the truth. Sometimes, they need to reach on location to get detailed information. It includes traveling to dangerous situations.
· Professionalism and Confidence - Meeting deadlines, accepting criticism from editors on articles, and working at odd hours are very much part of journalistic professionalism. And to present their work to the masses, a journalist must be confident about themselves, know their limitations, and seek improvements.
· Widespread knowledge - An accurate awareness of current events is necessary for a good journalist. They must read a wide range of print and digital news sources to obtain the most updated information about the happenings in society.
· Investigative skills - An ideal journalist must be observant and possess strong analytical skills to assess a situation if something more needs to be covered that matters. It could be about confirming the credibility of sources and analyzing a situation critically.
· Shrewd–Yes, being shrewd is a must-have quality to be a good journalist. Even if you are honest, you will encounter sources that may lie or manipulate the facts. Maintaining a high level of skepticism doesn't make you a pessimist, rather it makes you a better journalist.
· Communication skills - Excellent communication skills are required to become a good journalist because these skills are used on regular basis to interview people and to write in-depth stories and reports. A good journalist must also possess skills in technical writing, along with high proficiency and command over the language.
· Ethics and Integrity - Never follow illegal measures for money and fame. Accuracy and honesty are most important in journalism. A journalist must gain the trust of the audience to succeed because it is their responsibility to give accurate and reliable information to the masses.
Mass media courses in India are available at many universities and colleges in India. D.Y.Patil International University, Pune is one of the best destinations to head for mass media course in India that attracts numerous students from all over the country and overseas each year. It provides mass media education using the latest teaching aids, tools, and curriculum, taught by highly experienced academicians. A combination of classical journalistic approach, modern media technology, and the tools catalyzing the new media is used to teach the students. The university has fully-equipped digital classrooms with modern multimedia facilities. Post completion of the course, aspirants can find good career opportunities in the fields like print media, electronic media, advertising industry, corporate communications, documentary making, etc. Regular tours and Industry visits are conducted for the benefit of students. For detailed information about admission in mass media course in India, visit the website of D. Y. Patil International University.
Hurry up and apply now to grab your seats for the next session.
Created on Nov 30th 2020 12:36. Viewed 172 times.