Overview on Wall Crack Repairing methods in Buildingby Vivek Choudhary Nice life
Building cracks are the most common problem found in any building. We all love to have a structurally safe and beautiful house, but it is not so easy; one has to overcome natural calamity, soil failure, construction faults, improper design, and inadequate joints causing cracks on the building. The cracks in concrete cannot be prevented entirely, but they can be controlled by using adequate material and technique of construction and specific design criteria.
On timely identification of such cracks and adopting preventive measures are essential. Active cracks because severe problems and they need special attention as they are structurally hazardous. So, it is essential to understand the types of cracks, crack patterns and their causes, and the preventive measures to control the cracks.
Cracks in buildings are a universal problem faced throughout the world. Building components develop cracks whenever stress in the components exceeds their strength. Stress in the building components could be caused by externally applied forces such as dead, live, wind, seismic loads, foundation settlement, or induced internally due to temperature variations, moisture changes, and chemical actions. Cracks affect the building’s artistic look, and it destroys the wall's integrity, affects the safety of the structure, and even reduces the durability of the structure.
PRINCIPLES OF INVESTIGATION OF CRACKS
Step 1: Discussion with Client/Owner of the Building
One of the simplest and most important things is to discuss the cracks in the building with a client or owner and gather information from them.
- When was the building constructed? Date and year of construction?
- Ask for building drawings from the best waterproofing company? And the details of constructions if available.
- Ask them when the cracks first appeared? Or how long were the cracks seen?
- Check whether the client makes complaints about pieces of concrete falling, excessive deflections, large cracks, staining, and water leakages?
- Ask them whether any wall crack repair products India were carried out. If yes, what was the result?
Step 2: Visit the Site
- When you visit the place, always carry proposed building drawings. Check whether the building is constructed as per the plan.
- Check its present use of the structure or any change in the usage of the building.
- Photograph the cracks and number them.
- Mark the width of the crack.
- Check for any tilting of walls or tilting of any structural members, deflections, staining, water leakage, spalling, and corrosion.
- Collect the samples from the site.
Step 3: Understand the Cracks and Its Causes
- Find the type of crack -Is it alive or dead crack.
- Find the conditions of cracks: Is it permeability of concrete, corrosion of coating, moisture change, temperature variation, poor construction practices, poor structural design and specifications, elastic deformation, creep, chemical reaction, foundation movement & settlement of soil, growth of vegetation, additional alternation of structures.
Step 4: Monitoring and Measuring the Movements of Cracks
- Using tell-tale.
- Crack width gauge.
- Precision calipers.
Step 5: Obtaining the Proper Methods to Repair Crack
- Epoxy Injection.
- Grouting and Sealing.
- Drilling and Plugging.
- Gravity Filling.
- Drying Packing.
Created on Dec 7th 2021 03:38. Viewed 148 times.