Now make nutrition even more enjoyableby Pooja Late so cut
Your growing child needs a variety of macro and micronutrients such as Protein, Carbohydrate, fat, mineral (Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc etc.) and vitamin (Vitamin A, B, C, D etc.) in requisite quantities for a healthy and well-rounded growth and development.
We have found that most children in India get the requisite amount of Macronutrients such as carbohydrate and fat, however, they are often found deficient in other macro and micronutrients such as proteins, minerals, and vitamins. Proteins, vitamins, and minerals are very important elements of the total nutritional requirement of your child.
The human body is incapable of producing most of the macro and micronutrients; therefore, it has to be obtained from the diet. Not all nutrients are available in all types of food, in fact composition of every food if different. Therefore, to acquire all the nutrients required for your body you need to eat a combination of food products.
Why Kids Need Vitamins And Minerals Supplements
Most of us are living a competitive and stressful life, trying to meet our ends. We are time-pressed, therefore resort to superstores for buying our daily requirement of foods, and at times buy the precooked, processed food products. These food products carry calories but lack sufficient micro-nutrients and our kids do not receive sufficient vitamins and minerals.
Our kids also need supplementation of vitamins and minerals as some of them are:
· Picky eaters and are unwilling to eat different types of vegetables and fruits; and/or
· Unwilling to eat a variety of well-balanced meals made from fresh, whole foods; and/or
· Suffering from chronic food allergies with flatulence, stomach upset as common symptoms.
· Active athletes and need the extra dosage of nutrients to support their active lifestyle
· Vegetarian and do not consume any poultry or meat. Suck kids are deficient in Vitamin D and Vitamin B12.
· Suffering from medical conditions such as asthma or digestive problems and are on medication. Such medication erodes nutrients from the body
· Suffering from developmental disorders such as Autism, ADHD
· Eating processed or fast food, which is full of preservatives, coloring agents, and MSG. These additives erode nutrients from the body.
· On dairy free or any other restricted diet
Drink large amount of carbonated drinks, which is full of sugar and leaches vitamins and minerals from their bodies
Therefore, yes, we should give our kids a healthy, well-rounded diet but it is not always possible due to the reasons above. In such cases, it is advisable to supplement kids with the appropriate dosage of vitamins and minerals. As per our estimate, only 10% of kids get an ideal serving of fruits, vegetables, dairy, and meat and must be supplemented.
Frank Jacob, a child nutritionist in this article expound on the important supplement for kids. He further talked on how growing child needs a variety of macro and micronutrients such as Protein, Carbohydrate, fat, and mineral.
Created on Jul 20th 2018 03:07. Viewed 490 times.