New to California? Here’s How to Register Your Vehicle

by Manish Chadha Auberge Beach Residences Fort Lauderdale

With such a significant number of things at the forefront of your thoughts after moving to a new state, it tends to be easy to overlook a few tasks that probably won't appear to be pressing. Getting settled in your new home and adjusting to a new neighbourhood, schools, jobs, and other significant parts of your everyday life will surely come first.

However, if you've just recently moved to California and brought your car with you, there are a couple of things you must know.

Register Your Vehicle Within 20 Days of Moving to California 

Like most states, California requires that you register your vehicle within a specific period If you've moved there permanently. In California, you should register within 20 days, which is under three weeks.

That may seem like a lot of time yet when you're busy with a move and afterwards adjusting to a new town, that 20 days will fly right by!

California's Smog Rules are Tough! To register your vehicle, you may require a smog certificate.

How would you know whether you'll require one of these smog certificates? Here's a helpful checklist of who needs one:

  • Any gas-powered vehicle made in 1976 or later

  • Motorcycles are exempt

  • Any diesel-fueled vehicle made in 1998 or later

  • Newer diesel-powered vehicles and natural gas or propane-powered vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating under 14,001 pounds

More State of California smog rules can be found at the official DMV site. Get your smog certificate filled out by a carport certified as a smog inspector and bring the paper with you when you go to the DMV.

  • You'll need to have in hand specific documents.

The California DMV should see certain documents before your vehicle Registration. Some are always required, while others might be required.

For those registering a vehicle that is anything except a car (for instance, a huge truck or a trailer), you will likewise require a weight certificate and possibly other documents. Here are the docs you'll generally require, regardless of what your identity is or what your vehicle may be:

  • Application. The application for registration/title (accessible online).

  • Proof of ownership. The out-of-state title is generally what's utilized.

  • Verification of Vehicle. This isn't to be filled out by you. The only people who can fill this out are DMV employees, garages licensed by the DMV to verify vehicles, thus called "peace officials" like California Highway Patrol, for instance.

  • Smog Certificate. Except if you drive a bike or your car is very old, you'll need one of these.

Take these steps to register your vehicle in California:

  • Make an appointment with the DMV. This should be done online.  

  • For your appointment, show up at the DMV with your car.

  • Also, bring the documents listed above.

  • Don't forget to bring money!

So's it simply be sure you complete this within 20 days of arrival in California. Also, one more thing: if you've moved to a different state, you'll need to re-examine your vehicle insurance. First, you'll need a policy for California. But, remember to search around, since the new state may mean you likewise need a new carrier-you may even get a better deal!

B & C Registration

10 Enterprise Dr Ste A, Rohnert Park, CA 94928


Sponsor Ads

About Manish Chadha Advanced   Auberge Beach Residences Fort Lauderdale

32 connections, 2 recommendations, 112 honor points.
Joined APSense since, November 22nd, 2018, From Lauderdale, FL, United States.

Created on Aug 3rd 2020 01:49. Viewed 191 times.


No comment, be the first to comment.
Please sign in before you comment.